Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Alpine System installed in Stock Location

Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine System installed in Stock Location

I swapped out the JK Infinity amp with the Nitro and noticed a great improvement in performance. Unfortunately, I was still left unsatisfied with the Infinity speaker's sound quality. Yes, it was "Very Good" and easily one of the best factory installed sounds I've heard. But, I wanted better.

My only reservation was completely altering my stock set-up, and thus advertising to any criminally inclined people that there was a valuable sound system in my Jeep. After chatting with my local high-quality stereo shop (Skory Autosound) I decided on a mostly Alpine high-end system where the components would be installed in the stock locations to minimize the theft risk.

Alpine PDX 5 - 5 channel Amp (75Wx4 + 300Wx1, 10-1/8'' x 2-13/32'' x 7-35/64'')
Alpine SPX-17PRO 6.5" Component Speakers, tweeters 1 1/4" - for the front
Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" Component Speakers for the Soundbar
Elemental Designs 9Kv.2 Subwoofer

I was originally planning on leaving stock Infinity Head Unit, but changed my mind and replaced it with an Alpine CDA9886 Receiver.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghostsh...7603931585146/

I still have to fit the stock cover on the Sub box. I also may change the location of the soundbar tweeters, I can't decide for sure until the speakers have had a chance to break-in.

All in all, it looks pretty stock while sounding like an awesome $2300 sound system. I'm very happy with how it turned out

And after a closer inspection, I've discovered that they put the Amp and cross-overs under the seat instead. I know it's small enough to fit in there under the steering wheel. I'll post pics once I get it moved.

Last edited by Ghostship; 07-03-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Great idea to move the amp and crossover. If by chance you ever get caught in a rain storm (as I did recently) your Jeep's floorboards will fill damn quick. Before you have a chance to drain it, you could ruin your amp having it under the seat like that. In the stock locations, things seem to be better protected from the elements. So good call!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 PM
***erator

Do you want to sell the Nitro amp since you replaced the whole system? Let me know.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lv jk
Do you want to sell the Nitro amp since you replaced the whole system? Let me know.
Sorry, it's already sold.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

I'd be interested to hear how you got on with installing the Alpine PDX-5 in the Stock amp location.

I have the the basic 'non infinity' setup in my JK 07 2-door (6 cd/dvd HU + 4 basic speakers, no sub yet) and was looking at replacing the speakers and adding the amp and the stock subwoofer, but really want to hide that amp away like you said, under the steering wheel...

Have you done this yet? If so, does it fit ok? Did you have to create a modified bracket etc or how did you attach etc?

Also, just out of interest, how does the amp sound? I've heard its great with the speakers, but the sub output perhaps isn't the greatest.

Personally, I'm not after a 'kick ar*e' system, just one that pumps nicely and can't be seen

Any advice really appreciated.
Cheers,
M.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, rather than further hijack the Nitro thread, I thought I'd pick your brain here Ghostship.

The Alpine PDX 5 looks like the amp I'm going with, I've even managed to find one for a pretty good deal.

So, I'm wondering what parts are required to get that amp wired up? I don't really need exact part numbers, etc. Just an idea of what those parts are going to set me back. I always like to have an idea before I walk into a stereo shop and tell them what I want.

Thanks, and it looks like you finally got the PDX off the floor and into the stock location and it looks like a great fit. Did you have to do any trimming?

Quick Reply: Alpine System installed in Stock Location