Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Amp location (aftermarket)

Old 06-09-2008, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp location (aftermarket)

I picking up my new JK next week (hopefully ) and since it doesn't have the infinity system, one of the first things I want to do is upgrade the sound.

I've seen some guys on the forum here with some real nice setups but it seems that a lot of people are putting the amps under the seats. Between wheelin' through streams and mud, driving with the doors off, and getting in and out with winter and snow, my main concern would be getting them wet in that location. Is there a better location to keep the an amp dry and safe? Are their such things as "marine quality" amps that are ok to get wet?

Sorry if it is somewhat of a newb question...I've never done my own stereo install before. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

why not put it in the stock amp location... there appears to be a fair amount of room there. If you pop off the panel below the steering wheel you should see a reasonable amount of space in there... thats where the stock one goes. good luck
Old 06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get me a memphis belle amp. Those things sound really good. Plus it will run your whole system off one amp. Then put it under the back seat. If i didn't have the infinity sound system. I would do that.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eracer threw an Amp on the back gate door. it looks pretty cool, search for "my system is done for now" or something you'll find it. it looks awesome. however he also has amps under his front seat, raised up. but i like the amp on the back gate.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JasonWrangler07
I put my amp in the back, behind the back seat there is a cover that covers a hole or recess, I think it is for some storage compartment, the amp I have fits perfectly under there and it is secure from debris or water, the only problem I have is over heating (sometimes) but I am going to attach a small fan to fix that problem. I will post picts later to show what I am talking about.
Uh, that spot generally gets soaked anytime water gets into the back. Seriously, it's the lowest point back there, water pools in it. That's why it has a drain plug. And if you try running without the drain plug, then water splashes in there whenever you drive through it.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
why not put it in the stock amp location... there appears to be a fair amount of room there. If you pop off the panel below the steering wheel you should see a reasonable amount of space in there... thats where the stock one goes. good luck
I could be wrong since I don't even have my Jeep yet and I'm only judging by pictures but isn't the stock amp fairly small compared to most aftermarket ones? From the pictures it seems that it would be hard to find something other than the infinity unit that will actually fit there. Otherwise it does seem like the most logical spot.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonWrangler07
I haven't had any problems with water there yet. But I could see water pooling there if it is a downpour and your top is off. Here are the photos.

Jason

P.S. photobucket blows ass, I don't know why one is big and 2 are small, damn computers.
if you wheel that at all or have the top off you goose (amp) is cooked
Old 06-10-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

• false floor for back
  • false back on rear seats
  • false side panel in back
  • raised platform under front seats
Old 06-11-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That alpine should sit nicely under the front seat....
Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
That alpine should sit nicely under the front seat....
My concern with having it there would be the amp getting wet if I have the doors off and I hit any water.

Quick Reply: Amp location (aftermarket)