Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Android 6.2 GPS DVD Player Navigation For JK / Insane Jeep ,Pumpkin and Ouku

Old 02-28-2016, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Septu
So I just bought one of these used off the forum here. One question I didn't think to ask... do I need a GPS antenna to use the NAV? Or is there something built in?

Comes with the gps antenna. It's magnetic and had it mounted on top of the radio and worked great
Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goaterguy
I think I've read all the posts so excuse me if this has been answered. My Jeep came with the UConnect feature. Do the phone steering wheel buttons now work with the new radio's Bluetooth wireless phone connection? What about the OEM microphone, does it work or the phone has a separate one? And finally, the compass and menu button still work? Thanks
No the UConnect features do not work with these units, neither do the phone/voice buttons on the steering wheel or the factory microphone. The volume control buttons on the steering wheel do work though. These have their own built in microphones but they don't work very well.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigALh79
Does anyone know if the pumkin quad core unit will work on a 2014,it's says up to 2012 on the website. Has anything changed from 2012 models to 2014 ?
I just installed this unit yesterday in my 2015 Sport, so you should be fine with a 2014
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

It didn't have the radio antenna adapter, so I had to buy this separately:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Even though it's listed for 2007-2012 models, it works fine in my 2015 and installing it was very easy, it's entirely plug-and-play. The only (minor) issues I had were:
  1. Disconnecting the power window switches to get to the fourth 7mm screw was kind of a pain. It has a red tab that you need to push up, but even after that it was very difficult to pull the plug out. I was afraid I was going to break it, but it eventually popped out.
  2. As others have mentioned, I did have to trim a little bit of the black plastic trim piece where the stereo goes, because this unit is flush with the top, and the original stereo has a small lip over the top. I ended up just using my Buck knife to cut the plastic since it's very thin. It isn't very pretty, but once I put the dash panel back on, you can't see it.

So far I am very happy with the unit!
  • I didn't have any of the sound quality issues that others have reported, but I'm guessing that this is because I didn't have the "premium" sound system to begin with (I had the most basic version that doesn't even have blue tooth). The radio has a tiny amount of static, but it's barely noticeable and overall I think it sounds better.
  • I downloaded all of my music to a 32Gb micro SD card, and the installed "Music" app instantly picked that up and let me play it.
  • The steering wheel controls (the ones on the back of the steering wheel) worked without any modifications, and allows me to adjust volume, and change radio station or song.
  • I wanted to be able to use Google Play Music with my library, but didn't want anyone who happened to be in my vehicle to have access to my email, so I did some research and downloaded an app called "AppLock" that let me set a PIN and which applications I wanted to restrict with it. If you do this, be sure to add the optional "Advanced protection" which will prevent the uninstallation of the app itself.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I ran a USB extension cable, then plugged my ipod into it. Recognizes it, and will play music off of it... but it's playing it like a USB drive, instead of an ipod with playlists and such. Not to mention that it displays Apples ipod naming convention (random 4 letter names). I've been googling for a solution (probably an app) without any success...

I'm looking for an app that will let me use this to control my ipod. I really like the idea of the easy way the Ipod allows me to update and manage playlists.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Level 10 Off Road
Multiple replies since I'm posting from the app. If I try to upload more than one pic it crashes.

First hit AV In on the HU for XM.

Attachment 612377

Michael @ Level 10
What happens if you do not have "AVIN" loaded? I've been looking and looking for this app and cannot find it. All I want is the line in option to work when needed (I've wired it out to a headphone extension jack in the glove box).
Old 05-20-2016, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Cool

Originally Posted by bigALh79
Does anyone know if the pumkin quad core unit will work on a 2014,it's says up to 2012 on the website. Has anything changed from 2012 models to 2014 ?
I have a 2014 JK and it works awesome on mine. After plugging in the USB outlets, the GPS and the microphone I seem to have lost some of the bass sounds though... I am going to disassemble it this weekend again and see what's up. The last week I have been running just the Android 4.4 deck with the Quad core processor without any of the accessories and it was awesome. I downloaded Here maps though since the factory iGo gps app royally sucked... Here Maps is made by Nokia and you can download unlimited free offline maps and it works with your GPS antennae that the Pumpkin Audio deck comes with
Old 03-27-2017, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone updated their software on theirs? Ours has had a goofy problem since day 1 (radio plays static after being on for 5 minutes, but works fine if you then turn it off and on again).

Where can I find where to update this thing?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default I just bought one of these off Ebay....

I have to say the radio looks real great and fits, I have already had another brand that didn't BUT now comes the BUTs, only one at this point..... I have no sound what so ever..... I am guessing the AMP is not being turned on by their CAN BUS module they supply. It was all pre-wireed and "Plug-n-play" setup but it does not work, and of course since this is in china, I am spending days trying to get this resolved. I will update on progress.... If any one knows how to help please chime in.....
Old 09-11-2017, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah this is going to be my Christmas present to the Jeep. Maybe even a Thanksgiving Present LOL!!

Quick Reply: Android 6.2 GPS DVD Player Navigation For JK / Insane Jeep ,Pumpkin and Ouku