Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Audio gurus help! Speaker level input or high output LOC!?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Audio gurus help!

Hey guys-
I have read COUNTLESS threads on this topic and did not find anything that directly addressed my issue

(08 JKU Factory Infinity system WITH Nitro amp upgrade)

I just purchased a high power LOC (PAC SNI-50A) to tap into the factory sub wiring harness for my Alpine MRP-M450 amp pushing a 10" JL W7.
PAC recommended this particular LOC over their other options as they stated most LOC's are designed to run off component signal and would likely short/malfunction if running off the higher output factory sub wiring (hence high power LOC)

i just realized that my Alpine amp has speaker level inputs . If i want to use them, i need to purchase the adapter (i apparently lost it) which is maybe $10 after tax...no biggie.

Question:
Being that i already purchased the PAC LOC, is it worth returning the LOC and instead buying the adapter needed to run through the amp Speaker level input? Would the difference between the LOC and Speaker level input be that much different?

If the answer to that is YES, that leads me to my next question. PAC recommended a high power LOC since i am running from the factory sub signal. Would the Speaker Level Input on my Alpine amp be able to handle the voltage/signal from the factory sub wiring harness or would i be at risk of damaging the amp (in which case i'd stick with LOC)?

Thanks in advance guys! This is the last step before i have some bass again!! (upgraded components with Infinity 6032si's (sound great!)

Last edited by mpthompson84; 12-16-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow. I just took out my stock radio. This seems like a lot of work. Lol
Old 12-17-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Alpine doesn't specify the power limits on the speaker level input. The manual says it accepts regular or "high power" head units.

I would probably contact alpine about the power handling of their amp. I don't know the exact power output from the factory amp. Someone might be able to fill in that part.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demp
The Alpine doesn't specify the power limits on the speaker level input. The manual says it accepts regular or "high power" head units.

I would probably contact alpine about the power handling of their amp. I don't know the exact power output from the factory amp. Someone might be able to fill in that part.
So i did call Alpine today to see if they would send me the speaker level input harness, and also ask about the input handling capacity of the amp.
The guy i spoke with said that the Alpine amp could handle the signal without damage BUT also stated that using the amps speaker signal input is somewhat of a "last resort" especially when tapping into an already amped factory sub signal (which he confirmed is by far the best place to tap into on the JK system if just amping a sub).

Basically since I already have the PAC LOC, i might as well use it. He said that a descent LOC will most likely do a better job at reducing the signal level and providing a cleaner/more usable signal for the amp to work with.

Also, if i DO end up frying something, its a 20$ LOC vs. the amp.

Guess we shall see..

Last edited by mpthompson84; 12-17-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I'm about to install new components in the front dash, speakers in the rear roll cage, and a sub. I have 2 amps; an Alpine MRP-F300 (similar to the one you have), and a Kenwood.

It's been some time since your last post, and I'm sure you've already installed your setup, but this is what I'm planning to do:

I have a factory HU withOUT an Inifinty amp, so it's a little easier for me. I'm tapping the speaker level harness into the front tweeter or dash speaker wires, and the rear speaker wires. I'll plug that into my Alpine MRP-F300. Then, I'm gonna have pre-outs from the amp going into my Kenwood amp.

Quick Reply: Audio gurus help! Speaker level input or high output LOC!?