Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

audio upgrades

Old 12-26-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio upgrades

I'm starting to plan this out now, basically what i want to do is get the kicker speaker upgrade and the kicker amp then add 2 6" subs to the trunk. i have a tuffy enclosure so I'm am going to make some Q-forms that will sit above the wheel well and between the tuffy deck and side of the jeep.

I'm completely clueless when it comes to audio so a few questions

will hooking up 2 6" subs to the Mopar Amp be straight forward?

does anyone make a decent sounding marine grade/ element resistant sub woofer? still like blasting through the muck w/ out the doors and top on, be cool if i could do it with some bitchin tunes on and not worry about the subs

when i make the Q-forms/ mount the subs, should i/ can i place/ face them right into the back seats or should i articulate them up and away? whats the best way?

Thanks in advance.

Also I've been looking for which Mopar amp im supposed to use, Qtech has the 184watt 77KICK33 amp for $470 and another site has the 77KICK18AB which is a 368 watt 8 channel amp. but is only $175 can some one explain this to me

Last edited by JdTms11; 12-26-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by JdTms11

does anyone make a decent sounding marine grade/ element resistant sub woofer? still like blasting through the muck w/ out the doors and top on, be cool if i could do it with some bitchin tunes on and not worry about the subs
When it comes to "Marine Grade" electronics.....that does not necessarily equate to element, water, dirt and mud proof.

When speakers and amps and such are "Marine rated", that means they can withstand humid weather conditions as found in most water crafts. So in the instance of a sub woofer, what they will do is add a special coating on the cone of the speaker and the rubber surround would be made from a more moist weather resistant rubber material. So, what would happen to a typical sub woofer is that eventually, just from moisture being present the cone of the sub would eventually start absorbing the moisture in the air and then eventually turn to mush. Imagine a paper towel...you add a little moisture from the air, the air dries it, add moisture, add some more direct sun light....eventually over many times of this happening, the paper towel would warp, scribble and, then eventually crumble and fall apart. Just the same as a speaker cone would do the same over time of being exposed to that moisture and sun light. So they add a lackor type of material over the cone to be able to "resist" these conditions. The same thing for the rubber surround, that goes around the outside of the cone. An all weather type of rubber material is used.....kind of like car tire rubber. If you let a piece of rubber get wet, dried in the sun, wet, then dried multiple times, then eventually that rubber would start to get brittle and start to crack. So a higher grade of rubber is used on marine grade speakers. The same thing for the glue that holds all these parts together. These are things added to be able to withstand the environment typically found "inside" a boat.....not outside of the boat.

We all know that electronics and water do not mix. Well...."Marine Grade" does not mean "Water Proof". It means weather "resistant".

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-27-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure to many company's make a 6 inch sub... Your front speakers are 6.5, I'd at least get a ten inch sub.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the factory sub. Then I tapped into the factory sub speaker wires for input to a aftermarket amp. They push 2 Pioneer Pro 10s.

Quick Reply: audio upgrades