Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Auto Trans Gear Indicator

Old 08-11-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans Gear Indicator

OK, so before I get flamed: 1. I've tried the search button. 2. I know, I know, I could've bought a manual.

Now then,

Part 1: My JKU is my weekend toy as well as my DD and I drive a dreaded stretch of freeway in MD known as 270 everyday of the week. Because of the many idiots on the road, stopping and starting, inch worming etc. and the Jeep LOVES to pick an inappropriately high gear and bog down the engine I often use the manual feature to keep my sanity and the engine speed up. Additionally, If I have to brake hard, react quickly, etc. the JKU will downshift by itself sometimes causing me to not know what gear it's chosen for me. (I do not like taking my eyes off the road)

Part 2: I would think that there is a way to buy or build some sort of heads up display so I don't have to keep looking down to see the itty-bitty number on the cluster. This could be in the form of a simple color coded LED setup, an iOS Bluetooth OBD2 app, remote LCD display tied to the cluster somehow, etc.

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers,
Psycho Squirrel
Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Some of those obd2 readers paired with the Torque app have the potential to display the current gear. It doesn't work for the manual but it may be worth a shot for the auto. Just set up a screen and set your display screen on the dash- I know MD is anti handheld devices on the roads.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

What about an AeroForce Interceptor gauge? Don't they show what gear you are in? That could be mounted almost anywhere.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Spytec128
What about an AeroForce Interceptor gauge? Don't they show what gear you are in? That could be mounted almost anywhere.
Yup... they will show gear. Can display two items at once.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. The AeroForce is a little pricy for what I want it for but I'm sure there's others out there. I had no idea this type of gauge existed. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Gear Indicator