Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aux in suddenly in MONO

Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Ant
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be the aux port in the head unit. I've had similar things happen with my BlackBerry. Had to carefully insert the 3.5 mm jack and remove. Almost like one of the contacts inside thought the jack was still plugged in.

Do you have another MP3 player or something to in the head unit? Have you tried using the cable in another stereo to check the cable?

just a couple thoughts to troubleshoot.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

So out of frustration I smacked the front of the unit and WALAA!!!!! The unit kicked into stereo!!!! I was amazed it worked, I don't normally mix violence with electronics but hey! It's obviously a bad connection on the INSIDE of the unit somewhere.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

This happend to me yesterday and I found that if I didn't plug the AUX cable all the way in it would play in stereo. If it was all the way in it was MONO, just pulled the cable out a bit and it worked in stereo. Might want to give it a try.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by badboy9882
This happend to me yesterday and I found that if I didn't plug the AUX cable all the way in it would play in stereo. If it was all the way in it was MONO, just pulled the cable out a bit and it worked in stereo. Might want to give it a try.
Tried it to no avail at the time. Hopefully my hand smack to the head unit will work next time it gives me crap. lol
Old 06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Dudes (and dudettes),

This issue arose about a year ago when i noticed that not only Aux, but all of my sound was cutting to Mono for seconds at a time. Talk about annoying.

The fix for me? Going into the menu and muting the Nav announcements. I had simply turned the "Nav Volume" all the way down from the HU, not the menu. Doing this still drops the driver's side audio out for Nav voice prompts, but doesn't actually play anything.

Give'r a go, and let me know what you find out. (as this is just my .02)

--Rocks
Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

So out of frustration I smacked the front of the unit and WALAA!!!!! The unit kicked into stereo!!!! I was amazed it worked, I don't normally mix violence with electronics but hey! It's obviously a bad connection on the INSIDE of the unit somewhere.

Ironic....lol

On my way to an offroading park, we pulled over to get beer and the radio just shut off, no power no nothing. Checked all the fuses all the connections, nothing.

Pulled into my driveway after the long quiet drive back and hit the unit in the face...booyah! Its been good ever since.

And I'm an Audio Engineer!

Quick Reply: Aux in suddenly in MONO