Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Back up camera problems

Old 03-14-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back up camera problems

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg
Views:	27589
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	537404Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	537405Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0965.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	537406Ok so now I'm having trouble connecting (Gino) back up camera. First connected yellow RCA to lock pick then connected red to white wire and black to black in tail lamp - nothing! The camera cord also came with an orange wire at both ends do you think if I connect the orange to the lock pic orange behind the radio and just leave the black on black ground in the tail lamp it will work?

Last edited by jwsjeep; 03-14-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

just sent you a PM.
After seeing these pics, it makes more sense. The red and black wires from the camera are the ones that go to pos/neg. I have seen RCA cables like the one you have, that has one wire wiht it. I think these are designed to let you run power down that extra wire, but still require you to use a ground. So if you wanted to, you could run the red wire on the camera to the orange wire on the RCA cable, then tie that orange RCA wire into the power source. You are correct, though, in that you would still need to find a ground for the black wire on the camera.

Run temporary wires from the batttey to the camera red/black when the camera is plugged into the lockpick and see if that works. If so, you're using the wrong wires in your tail light.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonboy74
just sent you a PM.
After seeing these pics, it makes more sense. The red and black wires from the camera are the ones that go to pos/neg. I have seen RCA cables like the one you have, that has one wire wiht it. I think these are designed to let you run power down that extra wire, but still require you to use a ground. So if you wanted to, you could run the red wire on the camera to the orange wire on the RCA cable, then tie that orange RCA wire into the power source. You are correct, though, in that you would still need to find a ground for the black wire on the camera.

Run temporary wires from the batttey to the camera red/black when the camera is plugged into the lockpick and see if that works. If so, you're using the wrong wires in your tail light.
Haven't tried running to battery yet, do you think it could be the lock pic harness when I plugged the white multimedia harness in it wouldn't go all the way in at first really had to push hard to get it in
Old 03-15-2014, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

It could be the harness, it could be your RCA cable, it could be the camera, it could be the wires you picked to tap into the camera. I was just trying to eliminate one of these in my earlier suggestion.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonboy74
It could be the harness, it could be your RCA cable, it could be the camera, it could be the wires you picked to tap into the camera. I was just trying to eliminate one of these in my earlier suggestion.
Will the battery not be too much power and blow my radio, Since it's only supposed to get 12 volts?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got the white plug out with a huge struggle and put it back in attached iPod and that is working so don't think it is the white harness plug, while white plug off looked at all pins and none appear to be bent
Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Whoop here it is!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0974.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	538428finally got things worked out temp install in rubber hitch cover might get new bumper so can't decide
Originally Posted by jwsjeep
Got the white plug out with a huge struggle and put it back in attached iPod and that is working so don't think it is the white harness plug, while white plug off looked at all pins and none appear to be bent

Quick Reply: Back up camera problems