Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Back-up Camera w/out Lockpick

Old 01-26-2009, 03:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by renegadelt1
Sorry, I did not get back to this post, I used a camera from crime stopper It was one of the few that has reverse veiw and is water proof I have not taken any pix I made a simple bracket that looks out from the top spokes of the spare.
Thanks for your reply. Is this a plug and play application once you have the dealer flash it, or did you have to do some creative wiring?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayhawkJK
Thanks for your reply. Is this a plug and play application once you have the dealer flash it, or did you have to do some creative wiring?
well there should only be one splice...and you have to open up the connector on the wire harness and add 3 wires but thats not really creative wiring. Basically mount the camera in the rear. Splice the signal wire of camera into your reverse lights, run all three wires up front, and into the VES connector on the radio.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but why would you have to do any splicing? The camera seems to come with the T harness and connector that is a direct plug and play into the back of the RER, and the only "splicing" would be to connect to power and reverse. Or am I missing something?

I am thinking of getting this camera ($150) if it is that simple, as I have no interest in the other lockpick functions.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZBoater
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but why would you have to do any splicing? The camera seems to come with the T harness and connector that is a direct plug and play into the back of the RER, and the only "splicing" would be to connect to power and reverse. Or am I missing something?

I am thinking of getting this camera ($150) if it is that simple, as I have no interest in the other lockpick functions.
you answered your own question, about the splicing. Yes One Splice, as I said in my previous post.

Basically if you are using the mopar camera it will give you the camera, wiring harness, and connector for the back of the radio. Once installed have your dealer turn on the backup camera with starscan. My dealer quoted me at 30 bucks. I decided to get an aftermarket camera but when I went to install it the creative wiring part came into play as I did not have the proper C connector (which would be provided with the mopar kit.) Since I already have the camera installed and already payed 50 bucks for it I decided to just order lockpick. Got a great deal on ebay brand new with the media harness for 199. This way I'm rid of the inmotion crap and I can install some headrest monitors for my son.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Excellent, thanks for the clarification. I ordered the Mopar camera and installing it next week. The dealer want $67 to do the programming. (Sigh). And then they wonder why they went bankrupt....
Old 10-15-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't know, that seems like an expensive solution for just a backup camera. If I follow your math, $150 for a camera and $67 to program = $217. I bought the Lockpick from NAv2TV on eBay for $199 with free shipping. Then i picked up a small keyhole cam for $25 on eBay and wired it right up = $225, plus I have all the additional lockpick features, and ability to add a front camera, which I did as well.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, it is expensive, and its not even made specifically for the JK.

I am a brand junky, what can I say.

Quick Reply: Back-up Camera w/out Lockpick