JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Backup Camera Mounting (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/backup-camera-mounting-327061/)

Skippman 10-12-2015 12:38 PM

Backup Camera Mounting

So, it seems everyone is running either the 1/4" round backup camera mounted in the rear bumper or the little 1" square guy on the spare tire rack.

I'm curious if anyone's install anything a little beefier than those two. I've been looking at a couple on AliExpress that have parking sensors built in with them. One even has a built in distance meter. I'd love to use that one but I'm not even sure if I'd have anywhere I could mount it.

I'm curious where you're all getting your mounting brackets or if you're fabbing them up yourselves.

andrew putnam 10-12-2015 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I mounted mine in the tire center hub with quick disconnects behind. It has the parking assist lines

Attachment 627105

davids2011jk 10-12-2015 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Skippman (Post 4151120)
So, it seems everyone is running either the 1/4" round backup camera mounted in the rear bumper or the little 1" square guy on the spare tire rack.

I'm curious if anyone's install anything a little beefier than those two. I've been looking at a couple on AliExpress that have parking sensors built in with them. One even has a built in distance meter. I'd love to use that one but I'm not even sure if I'd have anywhere I could mount it.

I'm curious where you're all getting your mounting brackets or if you're fabbing them up yourselves.

i have mine mounted in the bumper but i feel you could mount that on top of the spare tire carrier, or add a 3-4" L bracket on top of the carrier between the gap in the rim and mount the camera to that. try a few mounting locations with super heavy duty double sided stick tape till you find exactly where you want it.

Gbodybanks 10-13-2015 07:02 PM

I bought a piece of aluminum from home Depot cut it, bent it and screwed the camera to it. Painted it matte black and it's perfectly poking out my rim. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Gbodybanks 10-14-2015 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine, the center cap is an amazing idea, wish I had of thought of that

mjrl15 05-11-2017 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by andrew putnam (Post 4151134)
I mounted mine in the tire center hub with quick disconnects behind. It has the parking assist lines

Attachment 627105

I was looking for a trick mount for my camera......I might have to steal this idea from you. Thanks for the idea!

mjrl15 05-11-2017 06:43 AM

Curious to see where everyone is exiting the body to run your b/u camera wires externally. Currently I have the wires tucked and running inside down the passenger side. My original thought was to place it in the rear bumper for a clean out of the way install.....

Thanks for any input / suggestions.

hybridflux 06-02-2017 10:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My camera is mounted on the tire carrier and the wires are ran into the third light grommet, through the door, into the gate loom, up the passenger side of the jeep, into the dash plugged into the headunit. See attached.
Attachment 672207Attachment 672208

Woody208 07-16-2017 03:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
mounted mine here...spare comes off without having to mess with camera, wires or anything. I wanted mine a little higher and have I it wired to a toggle switch inside as well as the reverse circuit. I did this so i can flip it on manually and check the load on the trailer as i'm driving. It works great for me. used electrical elbow and painted it black...camera i used fit perfectly inside. Pretty crappy pics i know.
Attachment 673316Attachment 673317Attachment 673318Attachment 673319Attachment 673320

WaterRat72 07-24-2017 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear bumper center.

Attachment 673538