Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Backup lights installed now having issues!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup lights installed now having issues!!!

So I installed some backup lights , which I tapped into the reverse lights so they come on when jeep is in reverse and also installed a switch. Went out for a test drive and all of a sudden my wipers came on and my skinny pedal was not responding. So I hit my wiper switch and wipers stopped and my accelerator started working again. My question is did I do something wrong? Should I take out the wire tap going to my reverse lights !??
Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use a relay and just tap the factory wires for a signal? If not, then you're probably drawing too much off the stock circuit.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Like alec said you should always only use the stock circuit to energise a relay and let it feed the power to the new lights.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

That's exactly what I was thinking. I was being lazy and tried to wire it up fast and easy. If I reconnect and use a relay dedicated for these lights and seal up the wire taps on the reverse lights
Will that solve the issue I had???
Thanks again guys
Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxjk
That's exactly what I was thinking. I was being lazy and tried to wire it up fast and easy. If I reconnect and use a relay dedicated for these lights and seal up the wire taps on the reverse lights
Will that solve the issue I had???
Thanks again guys
Most likely. But you do not have to abandon the tap all together. You can use it for control power.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I recently did a similar instalation with no problems. Used a three way switch, On with the reverse lights (tapped into the reverse wiring that goes on the floor), off, and on for manual use. Fused the sistem and used a relay, but not for power, but for the distribution. In other words, my switch powers the relay. In the on (up) position, my switch powers the relay, which then feeds the lights using the power from the reverse lights. The tap from the reverse lights gooes into the relay. On the on (down) position, my switch powers the relay, wich then powers only the aux lights. It has worked great so far.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Awesome. I really appreciate the input. I'm gonna rewire tonight and hopefully no more crazy glitches.
Thanks slot guys
Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Just disconnected the wire taps I had on the reverse light and tested it out. No problem. Hopefully that was the issue. I'll rewire with relay after work.
Thanks again guys

Quick Reply: Backup lights installed now having issues!!!