Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Biggest battery that will fit in a stock 2007 JK battery tray?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Biggest battery that will fit in a stock 2007 JK battery tray?

I need to replace the battery in my 2007 JKU. I'm fine with a battery from Costco or wherever but I'd like to cram in the largest battery possible. I'd also like to go with a deep cycle battery.

Has anyone used a larger battery or are we stuck with the standard Group 34 size?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in no way an expert but I know interstate batteries are pretty big and I know they are very good for the money. Its what I have. There is a special battery that is meant just for a car with lots of electrical stuff. It's expensive at $400 but I've heard a couple guys on here have them and they love then. Hopefully they will see this and help you out if that's what you want
Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

A bigger battery is easy. A bigger battery that fits the stock battery tray is another matter.

Has anyone put in something larger than a Group 34 into the stock tray?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Optima blue top love it no problems using the winch or lights looking to add another.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

I've had Optima batteries in the past and was never all that impressed. They didn't last very long and were quite expensive. It's quite frustrating whenever you try and use a battery other than the one exactly specified. It looks like a Group 24 marine/RV battery is the closest in size but if you look at different sources you see different dimensions for batteries in the same Group.

Argh!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would just get a Sears Diehard Platinum group 34 and be done with it.

If you check out the specs then see the warranty you will want one! Do not get the dual terminal version 34/78, they have had issues with the side terminals breaking loose.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its hard love a battery. Let's face it,if it's starts the Jeep it is good. It doesn't make your truck go faster or look better.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Never trust the specs, just measure. I picked up a Group 24DC (fitment size 13) marine deep cycle battery from Costco today. It's exactly the same width and length as the stock Group 34 battery and about an inch taller. It fits perfectly in the stock battery tray, has about 35 minutes more reserve capacity and only cost $70 (before core discount).

Cheap, easy and effective.

Last edited by OpenTrackRacer; 02-25-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by relayer4u
I would just get a Sears Diehard Platinum group 34 and be done with it.

If you check out the specs then see the warranty you will want one! Do not get the dual terminal version 34/78, they have had issues with the side terminals breaking loose.
X2 ON THE PLATINIUM battery. I went with the same battery but bought the Marine Edition. Best battery for the dollar.

SKULL_FACE
Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

I'm sure the Die Hard Platinum is a good battery but I don't see any reason to spend that kind of money. The Costco battery is $70 (without core exchange) while the Die Hard Platinum 34M is $219 (with core exchange). The Costco battery has a reserve capacity of 140 minutes while the Die Hard Platinum is a little less at 135 minutes. Both have a three year non-prorated 100% replacement warranties.

I can buy three Costco batteries for less than the cost of one Die Hard Platinum. Now, if I wanted an AGM battery then it would change the equation some but I really don't care if I have AGM or flooded so its a moot point.

To each his own obviously but sometimes hype is just hype.

Quick Reply: Biggest battery that will fit in a stock 2007 JK battery tray?