Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Brake light switch

Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light switch

The box to my brake light switch fell out of place and my lights are staying on. Can anyone tell me what position it's should be in or how to put it back in its place thank you
Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

[h=2]INSTALLATION[/h] WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

1. Be certain that the brake lamp switch (4) plunger is pulled all the way out of the switch housing to its fully extended position.
2. Reconnect the wire harness connector (1) to the connector receptacle on the switch.
3. Depress and hold the brake pedal in the depressed position.
4. Align the tabs on the brake lamp switch locking collar with the keyed hole in the brake lamp switch mounting bracket (3).
5. Insert the tab on the brake lamp switch locking collar through the keyed hole in the mounting bracket until the switch housing is firmly seated against the bracket.
6. Rotate the switch housing clockwise about 30 degrees to engage the tabs on the locking collar with the mounting bracket. CAUTION: Brake booster damage may occur if the brake pedal pull exceeds about 9 kilograms (20 pounds).

7. Release the brake pedal. Then pull the pedal lightly upward to its normal at-rest position. The pedal will set the plunger to the correct position as the pedal pushes the plunger into the switch housing. The switch plunger will make a light audible ratcheting noise as it self-adjusts.
8. Reinstall the steering column opening cover onto the instrument panel (2).
9. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it!!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
[h=2]INSTALLATION[/h] WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.
Could this negatively affect or reset anything?

I had to pay to have the headlights not come on when using the keyless entry. I'd hate to have to pay the stealership again to have it done.

Last edited by Dirtymoney; 10-30-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtymoney
Could this negatively affect or reset anything?

I had to pay to have the headlights not come on when using the keyless entry. I'd hate to have to pay the stealership again to have it done.
I have not had to reset anything I programmed, after disconnecting the battery.
I would like to have the headlights not come on with unlocking the door. I didn't have the dealer do it for three reasons.
1. I didn't want to pay for it.
2. They said they have tried it for others, and could not do it.
3. Some of my user programmable features will sometimes revert back to original configuration for no apparent reason. I don't want to pay to have the headlights turned off, only to have them revert back to on with unlock.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I have not had to reset anything I programmed, after disconnecting the battery.
I would like to have the headlights not come on with unlocking the door. I didn't have the dealer do it for three reasons.
1. I didn't want to pay for it.
2. They said they have tried it for others, and could not do it.
3. Some of my user programmable features will sometimes revert back to original configuration for no apparent reason. I don't want to pay to have the headlights turned off, only to have them revert back to on with unlock.
I called around to all the chrysler stealerships in my area and got a wide range of "costs" to do it. $100, $50, $35, and $20. I went with the cheapest. It killed me to pay for it (I am a miserably cheap bastard), but I had to have it done. It would have been a liability in my job if I didnt.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Cool 2013 Sport JK Brake lights fixed

My brake (tail) lamps were stuck on because the brake pedal switch was not contacting the pedal arm. The plunger in the switch would not extend far enough. Not sure why, perhaps a loose wire got caught in between the two. Thanks to all who post here. I followed suggestions, removed the small lower dash panel under steering column, then the plate behind and access was much better. I pushed the pedal down by hand, and held it, then pulled out on the plunger firmly and it "clicked" and fully extended. I released the pedal slowly. Tested fine. Brake lights on and off like they should! Now... gotta fix that speaker rattle when the bass is heavy!!

Quick Reply: Brake light switch