Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Cant find clear answer! Want to add substation but use Factory HU

Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used both the left and right speaker wires to run to the amp in phase so I would not lose any sound for music that has been recorded to pass from left to right or visa-versa.
Some amps have the high pass inputs so you don't need RCA converters but I wanted it easier to remove if need be.

sent from the slow lane.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you need is a line out converter to tap into a speaker signal. Plug rca's into said converter. High level inputs are made to wire your mids and highs and play at a different frequency range than a sub is made to be played
Old 06-19-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

The post so far have not really given specific advise other than I did this and it works. I'm going to tell you your options and why they work correctly and are recommended. The Kicker sub station you mentioned has both RCA low level inputs and speaker High level inputs. If it only had low level RCA you would have to have a line output converter to get it to work properly. Since yours has high level inputs it essentially has the line output converter built in. That means you can tap into the speaker wires and get the correct output signal.

Now as far as a Line output converter damaging the CAN bus I've not seen that happen on a Jeep in fact I've done it. If it was improperly wired then yeah you can mess stuff up. The LOC requires minimum being connected to the speaker wires and a ground some require power.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the posts guys. Also thanks for this last one as it seems you may know a little bit more about my setup!

Quick Reply: Cant find clear answer! Want to add substation but use Factory HU