Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

CB Install Idea

Old 02-23-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Install Idea

Had an idea to mount my CB on top of my speaker bar. It fits perfect. Any of you electronics guys know if it is possible to splice into the overhead light on the sound bar or will I need to run power all the way to the battery. Just trying to save a lot of work. Let me know. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Also, for anyone who didn't know. In order to remove the entire overhead light assembly you have to take the lens out first then the outer plastic. If you try and take the it out as one piece you will snap one of the flanges that hold it in

The lens post block the flange from giving enough to be removed. Just FYI, trying to save someone the aggravation of breaking things. Luckily, three flanges seem to be strong enough to keep it in place.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt that would fit with the hard top though....I take it you don't have one?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
I doubt that would fit with the hard top though....I take it you don't have one?

correct, i live in florida. i'm able to put my top down year round give or take the day. its over 80 degrees today. hard top is too much of a pain in the ass, unless you know your leaving it on for a significant part of the year
Old 02-23-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt seriously that the dome light wiring would handle the extra current load safely.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Wink Yep

Originally Posted by hig4s
I doubt seriously that the dome light wiring would handle the extra current load safely.
I agree X2 bEEEEEEE careful !
Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

I'm bagging the idea up anyway. I've checked this thread twice and the more I look at the picture I posted the less and less I like the idea. Guess I was just bored this afternoon
Old 02-24-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Default rollbar cb

Do you have a soft top or hard top? I mounted my cb on the underside of the rollbar using one of the holes that was unused. (the hole was for a hard top but i have a soft top) I just drilled a hole in the middle of the cb mounting bracket and put a bolt up thru it and the roll bar. It worked really well and is out of the way.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

good idea to nix the idea on top of the light bar..with top on it looks ONLY ok...but with the top off....ewwwwwww...I have a handheld cb without the case....much better and it hooks up thru my speakers and it mounts right next to my my gig

Quick Reply: CB Install Idea