Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Compasss Problem

Old 08-08-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The radio could definitely be part of the problem. Aftermarket radio's like the Pioneer, tend to have higher EMC levels, than an OEM since the aftermarket units don't have to meet Chrysler's EMC test specifications....which ultimately make the costs of the radio rise significantly. Higher EMC levels means it is very possible that the radio could be interfering with the compass.

One thing you might want to try from my personal experience just today. I added a speaker awhile back in the center of my dash where the compass mounts, thus I had to relocate the compass. So I just moved it off to the side, closer to the glove box. Well, my compass stopped working....I didn't care, though....I have a Nav unit...and didn't need something to tell me which way N,S,E and W was. Today though, I decided to upgrade my stock battery to a Diehard Platinum Marine. After replacing the battery, I noticed my compass magically started working again, after have been reading "N" for the past 6 months. So something tells me that disconnecting the battery might reset the compass, and the other electronics it communicates with...so maybe you should give that a try. Just disconnecting the compass and reconnecting didn't work....it had to be the battery disconnected.
That fixes a lot of problems on the JK, doesn't it.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disconnecting the battery didn't work. :-(
Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Manual Compass Calibration fixed the issue. Thanks for everyones help.....
Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Ronjenx

Thank you for the write up. I put a Daystar dash top on my new 2010 Rubi, and was perplexed tha the compass was only going South. ( WTH!? ) your manual re-set did the fix.

I really like this site, it has some really great information here.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Compasss Problem