Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Completed Writeup - Stereo Upgrade JKU Infinity Retaining OEM H/U

Old 05-15-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About radio. Customer service was good, they sent upgraded os to flash to unit, but it did ot fix the onboard EQ. They offered to exchange unit if i paid for shipping.
i opted to adjust the amp to get what i wanted from the EQ. turned the gain down on the front speakers with the tweeters to about 70 percent and turned the gain down in the rear speakers to about 60 percent. turned the bass all the way up and can adjust it with the remote bass control.

you would be amazed at how well the factory speakers sound once you get rid of the factory amp.

all in wonder android stereo has a learning curve. wich you could get one here in the us.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my question is, not knowing tons about car audio, how are you switching on/off the amp? I've heard aftermarket HUs have an aux output for this but I'm guessing the Jeep Factory HU does not. I doubt I want to wire to the fuse box...feedback/engine noise, etc. Suggestions here? I suppose this goes for the Summing unit as well....

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 11-15-2016, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Default amp switch

I installed an aftermarket head unit. Most come with a low power switch for the amp. But you could also buy a module that taps into one of the speaker wires so it goes on when the radio does. Anything low power that goes on when the radio is turned on.

on most aftermarket systems, this wire is usually blue and marked amp. it will have a corresponding wire coming out of the harness kit you buy to plug it into your factory wiring.

Regardless, you cant keep the factory head unit anyway. It is a complicated system. The factory head unit does not control fade, or the EQ functions, the amp does. And somewhere just before the factory amp, the front tweeters split off so they are not getting a ton of power. you need to find those two wires and tie them back into your post amp harness or you will not have tweeters.

yea, dodge goes the extra mile to make it difficult. If you have a basic system without an amp, you have the easiest system to upgrade. think about that the next time you feel like you should have bought the premium sound package.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonny1507
I installed an aftermarket head unit. Most come with a low power switch for the amp. But you could also buy a module that taps into one of the speaker wires so it goes on when the radio does. Anything low power that goes on when the radio is turned on.

on most aftermarket systems, this wire is usually blue and marked amp. it will have a corresponding wire coming out of the harness kit you buy to plug it into your factory wiring.

Regardless, you cant keep the factory head unit anyway. It is a complicated system. The factory head unit does not control fade, or the EQ functions, the amp does. And somewhere just before the factory amp, the front tweeters split off so they are not getting a ton of power. you need to find those two wires and tie them back into your post amp harness or you will not have tweeters.

yea, dodge goes the extra mile to make it difficult. If you have a basic system without an amp, you have the easiest system to upgrade. think about that the next time you feel like you should have bought the premium sound package.
Thanks for the rapid response and all the good info. This helps a lot.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Illumination wire

Great write up. Thanks for sharing. Only thing it did not answer for me was where the illumination wire is located.

Do you happen to know?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

This was incredibly helpful in helping me find my factory amp to remove it. Everyone had said it was under the steering wheel while it turned out to be more to the left of that behind the speaker enclosure.

Location of 2013 JKU premium audio infinity amp

Last edited by Eric2XU; 01-16-2018 at 05:25 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 04-01-2020, 01:07 AM
JK Newbie

Nice writeup! definitely helped me.
Question: Why does the stock amp have CANBUS connections? What is it using CANBUS for?

BR
Old 05-28-2020, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default Can we revive or update please?

Huge shout out to the OP and a handful of other contributors in this thread. Going to date myself a bit here but I was really looking forward to snatching up an amplifier, an RCA cable, some good power and ground cables, some decent drop in 6.5 speakers, and vastly improving the sound of my new to me Jeep.
Well well, my how times have changed as they say.
So to the point: I have a 2011 Sahara Unlimited with the Infinity system. Already bought an Alpine PDX-V9 as I've had a couple of them in the past and am really satisfied (and familiar) with them. I am keeping the OEM HU so my searches brought me to this awesome thread. Just that now I find out car audio has really advanced from the last time that I replaced an entire system. Hell I didn't even know what a summing unit was until now.
Hopefully someone who has done this a little more recently can help me out some. Keeping the OEM HU I understand that I will need to keep the Infinity Amp also so as not to lose any functionality of the HU. So I'm asking what I will need from the stock amp back in order to run my Alpine amp? Specifically if there is an aftermarket harness that's plug and play from the Infinity to my amp? A harness that goes from Infinity amp to Alpine amp and back in order to use the OEM harness to the OEM speaker locations? Or if these LOC things are a necessity?
Are the LC6i, LC8i, ZX10Sum8 still what is required? What are the latest greatest models of those?
I was leaning towards dropping Kicker Marine speakers in all stock locations so if you want to throw those model numbers out there it would be appreciated. Not trying to overcomplicate this any more than it already is but surely others have done a similar setup as what I'm striving for. 2way, 3way, component speakers?
Are there newer slim design subwoofers that are plug and play for the OEM location?
Like I said, this has turned out to be very different than what I had anticipated.
Looking very forward to getting this mod done but looks like I'm needing way more parts than I thought. Sticking with my PDX-V9 so point me in the right direction from there. Please.
Thanks very much in advance for your assistance.

Quick Reply: Completed Writeup - Stereo Upgrade JKU Infinity Retaining OEM H/U