Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Connecting Lights to batter, What Safety to take?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting Lights to batter, What Safety to take?

I have moutned my KC Slimlites, and about to start the wiring, and want to know what safety i need to take when I connect the 2 wires to the battery? Is there anything I need to do first? Or do I just unscrew the screw part on the positive side, wrap the white Wire around it, and then place teh yellow relay lug around it, and then just tighten it down? Do i need to disconnect the Negitive side first? I dont want to get shocked obviously, and dont know what I can and cant touch on the battery?

Please let me know

Thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't picture exactly what your trying to do with screw and yellow relay lugs and such.

But you should be running this all through a relay, which i think your trying to do.

On the relay, terminal 30 (possibly your yellow) should go to the positive terminal on the battery.
On the relay, terminal 85 should go to a ground or the negative terminal on the battery.
On the relay, terminal 87 should go to the lights.
On the relay, terminal 86 should go the the positive wire from your switch.

Good battery safety is always disconnect negative first, then positive.

So disconnect your negative then positive. Attach your wires. Connect Positive then negative back to the battery.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

The Yellow, connected directly to the Relay goes to the Postive termina, and has a Brass Lug on it so it just sits on the bat. Then there is the White trigger wire that can either go to the batt directly (so the lights can go on whenever) or be spliced into the high-beams or what not. The White Wire is covered right now, no brass lug or anthing, so do I just strip the sheathing and expose like an inch of bare wire and then connect it around the positive on the batt?

Onec I dsiconnect the Negitive and the positive from the batt, is it safe to touch anywhere on the batt with bare hands?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by REL1203
The Yellow, connected directly to the Relay goes to the Postive termina, and has a Brass Lug on it so it just sits on the bat. Then there is the White trigger wire that can either go to the batt directly (so the lights can go on whenever) or be spliced into the high-beams or what not. The White Wire is covered right now, no brass lug or anthing, so do I just strip the sheathing and expose like an inch of bare wire and then connect it around the positive on the batt?
Unless your putting the switch on the negative side of the relay, a bad idea, putting both the white and yellow will trigger the relay, thus making your foglights on always. The white should be connected to either a switch or to your highbeams, so that when you want them on, it triggers the relay.

Originally Posted by REL1203
Onec I dsiconnect the Negative and the positive from the batt, is it safe to touch anywhere on the batt with bare hands?
Sure, unless your hands or wet, your body has too much resistance for 12v. Now i wouldn't be stupid about it, because there are WAY WAY WAY more amps needed to do a lot of damage.

Don't lick the battery terminals, or jump in the pool then do maintenance.

FYI: be careful with metals tools though, metal conducts well...

Quick Reply: Connecting Lights to batter, What Safety to take?