Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Creating a Switch to Shut Off Cylinders on the Fly

Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating a Switch to Shut Off Cylinders on the Fly

ok i did not came with this idea myself i know... well in fact yes but wathever.

so its possible to run a engine with less piston on highway for exemple.

a v8 turn a v4 if you dont need the power.

i whant this on my jeep.

but !!! i have realy no idea how to do it and if it can work without damaging the motor. and its not gona be covered by waranty i guess, but still how can we save more gas on the fly

is it a good idea to , at least , think about .

(sorry for my english )
Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

It would take some serious computing power, as the camshaft is designed to run with all of the cylinders. Basically you would have to reprogram the entire system.
Or, install a Hemi with a Hemi computer that has cylinder deactivation already included.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a lot of automobiles do this - my wife's jeep with the hemi does, as was pointed out above. I doubt this is something you could do on your own.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JackMac4
a lot of automobiles do this - my wife's jeep with the hemi does, as was pointed out above. I doubt this is something you could do on your own.
Bah, you're no fun.
Just cut the wires to a couple opposite injectors and splice to a switch on the dash.
When you feel like saving gas, turn off the switch and pat your wallet lovingly.
After all, Big Oil and the automakers want us being slaves to them.
If they insist on hiding the 100 MPG carb, we should fight back by disabling cylinders on our own.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

let us know how that works out for ya
Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Bah, you're no fun.
Just cut the wires to a couple opposite injectors and splice to a switch on the dash.
When you feel like saving gas, turn off the switch and pat your wallet lovingly.
After all, Big Oil and the automakers want us being slaves to them.
If they insist on hiding the 100 MPG carb, we should fight back by disabling cylinders on our own.

My son's ten speed doesn't use a drop of gas, just a little oil once a year!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

most of the engines that do this successfully also change the displacement by altering the valves as well... since these are not direct injection engines but merely the fuel is injected into the intake runners near that cylinder you would in effect lean out the cylinders near it and also issue misfire codes via the PCM.. the O2 sensors would see an extra lean condition and issue a code also and then try to richen the mixture by holding the other injectors open longer.. this would then run those remaining 4 cylinders in the engine too rich for complete combustion..

why is this? because the 1 cylinder in each bank you cut out would be pumping pure air out of the exhaust valve indicating a lean burn condition to the O2 sensor... in effect the other 2 cylinders might be burning correctly.. so then the PCM richens the mixture killing the efficiency of those cylinders in that bank so that the 2 running cylinders mixed with the pure air from the 1 cut out cylonder in the bank make the o2 sensor happy...

the result? you'd likely use more gas than just running the V6 as intended.... that is if you didnt send the PCM into Limp home mode which really uses the fuel....
-Christopher
Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it was just that simple we would have been doing it for years. In reality the cylinder shut off is nothing new as it was tried in the 70's with much FAIL. It wasn't up until now that the technology and economics made it a marketable feature.

But you are welcomed to try, along with the running the engine with water.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by poppakristof

But you are welcomed to try, along with the running the engine with water.

Yeah, let us know when you have an engine mod that let's me fill 'er up using my garden hose
Old 09-17-2008, 05:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not attempt anything of this sort, do not cut into your engine harness as some items in your engine control electronics base their read values on resistance in the circuit. If you cut and splice the harness you will increase the resistance for the computer readings and you will be buying a new harness to get your Jeep to run correctly again. These cylinder deactivation engines are designed from the ground up to function this way. you cannot modify your stock 3.8 to operate this way.It would be cheaper and easier to convert a Prius to 4 wheel drive.....

Quick Reply: Creating a Switch to Shut Off Cylinders on the Fly