Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Custom sub box ideas??

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lari88
I was wondering the other day can you build one with enough air space that sit flush to the wheel well? I know nothing about subs and boxes but that would be good use of a wasted space. If you wanted two subs you could put one on either side. Make em flush with the rail.
I'm actually working on something similar to this setup. I am hoping to work on it this week after work. I'll take pics and post them as soon as I get to it.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Fella
Found this in another thread:
By FAR the best looking sub enclosure I've seen!!!
Great job on this.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

Holy thread revival batman!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by reyjrar
I just got done building a custom box for my 2 door JK after doing a lot of research and not finding exactly what I wanted. I decided to go with a down-firing configuration with a Kicker CompVT-10 (low profile, high output). The box height is 7 3/4" and takes up the whole back trunk. I'll put together a write up on it soon:

Attachment 164319

I liked some of the ideas here, but getting the proper volume (.8 cu ft/ 1383 cu in) was difficult and awkward. I had played with 8" subs without much luck, so I wanted to get a 10" in if I could.

I used Plastidip (3 coats) over primed 3/4" MDF. It's all driven by a Alpine PDX-5.

FWIW, not sure how I feel about the plastidip, but I didn't have any bedliner. I may have to strip this and coat with bedliner instead.
Did you ever decide to do a write up on this?
Old 10-06-2013, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Here's mine. It's large but It's not only a sub box, but I also made 2 additional compartments in the box that hold a pair of 6x9's and also the 3 amplifiers I have mount to the box.

I can still fit groceries and other stuff behind it, and it also gives me a rear deck to set stuff on.

I have to be honest... that box is ridiculous lol... Why the heck did you make it so big??
Old 10-06-2013, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by H.I.I.K
Did someone say SUBS.....

Not at all practical and I'm probably going to rip it all out and do a line-x box so that I don't have to worry about destroying my vinyl, but it sure looks pretty.

Attachment 193029
That is a nice design and install Like you said probably not the best choice for the trail but still awesome
Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

I know, I know... "holy thread revival"...

There just aren't many threads on this subject for Wranglers.

I'm thinking about having an audio store custom build me a wooden floor that I can secure to the floor of my jeep (4-door) in the cargo area. Then just leave a corner out on the front/passenger side so I could have a removable downfiring box for my Kicker Solo Baric 10". I could also have them cut out above the area with the under-floor storage so I can easily access it.

Only real requirement is that my ARB fridge fits on the drivers side of the cargo area.

Ideas?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lysol
I know, I know... "holy thread revival"... There just aren't many threads on this subject for Wranglers. I'm thinking about having an audio store custom build me a wooden floor that I can secure to the floor of my jeep (4-door) in the cargo area. Then just leave a corner out on the front/passenger side so I could have a removable downfiring box for my Kicker Solo Baric 10". I could also have them cut out above the area with the under-floor storage so I can easily access it. Only real requirement is that my ARB fridge fits on the drivers side of the cargo area. Ideas?
put them under your seats. No lost space and better sounding with the top down.

Quick Reply: Custom sub box ideas??