Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

In-Dash Navigation with iPhone4

Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-Dash Navigation with iPhone4

A few days ago I received a catalog from Crutchfield in the mail. I noticed on the first few pages that they were highlighting a number of new head units that had app support for iPhone. I became a little irritated when I got to the page with the new JVC KW-AVX840, because I bought the JVC KW-AVX830 about two months ago. So, I looked into what apps are the JVC KW-AVX840 supported. Basically, the only app I could find was "MotionX GPS Drive". I decided to bite the bullet and spend the $0.99 and buy the app to try it out my existing JVC KW-AVX830. Not surprisingly when I connected my iPhone and started the app, the stereo displayed squat.

However, I have learned that you can watch Netflix and YouTube videos if you trick the head unit into thinking it is playing video. So I decided to try the same trick with the MotionX GPS Drive, and it worked!
  1. Start Jeep (Don't try this with other vehicles because they are crap)
  2. Connect iPhone
  3. Start playing any video from the stereo
  4. Pause the video
  5. Start MotionX GPS Drive

I would be interested to hear if this works with other stereos.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is awesome. I love MotionX GPS Drive and was looking for a new stereo. Thanks for this post.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just downloaded motionX HD and uploaded all my trail tracks - on my iPad. Looks like an awesome $3 solution for GPS with a large screen. I'll post a write-up in the next couple days.

Quick Reply: In-Dash Navigation with iPhone4