Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dashboard warning lights after heat has been on for 25 minutes

Old 12-19-2019, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dashboard warning lights after heat has been on for 25 minutes

2011 Jeep wrangler unlimited sport. And, I'm sorry if an issue like this has been posted previously - I looked through the forum, but didn't see anything with heat + warning lights......

My heat had stopped working. The heater core had to be replaced. Ever since this was done, if the heat has been on for 25+ minutes, my dash will light up for one second and then goes back to normal. It'll continue to do this if I don't stop, turn the engine off and let it sit for about half an hour. The dashboard does not light up any other time.... Only after the heat has been on for more than 20 minutes. If I'm driving a considerable distance and need heat - I turn it on to warm up then turn it off about 15 minutes later, then back on 15 minutes later, rinse, wash, repeat to keep the dash from going crazy.... And it works, but I shouldn't have to.

I would like to add that prior to the heat going out, this didn't happen.

I've checked everything, including the battery connects. And, it's not throwing any codes. Any ideas?

Last edited by Gingerless; 12-19-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

2011 has the new style interior so I'm not familiar with the back of the harness there but plenty of others should be. Is it possible that a wire from back there is making contact with the core? Sounds like when it gets warmed up that something is shorting temporarily.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Gingerless -

What light on your dash is coming on
(ie. is your engine running hot?)

Does your heater produce adequate heat when the engine is running - jeeps are pretty much known for friggin' great heaters.

Did I understand correctly that a dashboard light comes on for one second every 25 minutes and then goes off without any other issues?
(engine continues to run normally, doesn't go into limp mode, no blown fuses ...).

Have you checked the thermostat ?

Lot's of coolant in the system?
(did your mechanic drain your system out when he re/re'd the heater core?)

Any odd smells ?
(coolant / rubber / possible burnt gasket material?)

As you didn't have this issue prior to the new heater core being installed - I would start by pulling the core out and carefully reinstalling it - maybe your mechanic was having a brain fart that day.

I'm suspicious about that 'run-up' period you mentioned - that is probably the key to the solution ....

My two cents,

Neville
Old 12-20-2019, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Creepy Neville
Hey Gingerless -

What light on your dash is coming on
(ie. is your engine running hot?)

Does your heater produce adequate heat when the engine is running - jeeps are pretty much known for friggin' great heaters.

Did I understand correctly that a dashboard light comes on for one second every 25 minutes and then goes off without any other issues?
(engine continues to run normally, doesn't go into limp mode, no blown fuses ...).

Have you checked the thermostat ?

Lot's of coolant in the system?
(did your mechanic drain your system out when he re/re'd the heater core?)

Any odd smells ?
(coolant / rubber / possible burnt gasket material?)

As you didn't have this issue prior to the new heater core being installed - I would start by pulling the core out and carefully reinstalling it - maybe your mechanic was having a brain fart that day.

I'm suspicious about that 'run-up' period you mentioned - that is probably the key to the solution ....

My two cents,

Neville
It's all the warning lights, the speedometer drops to zero (although I don't lose power), there's a chiming noise, and it lasts a second or two. Everything goes back to normal then it happens again 10 seconds later. It drives normally, but unless I pull over and shut it down it'll continue. It's like Chinese water torture minus the Chinese and water. My temp is fine. It's not overheating, there's no odd smells, and the heat warms up quick and works fine.

I had a friend help me. I'm sure we screwed it up since it only happens after the heat has been on for 20-25 minutes. I was just hoping for other ideas rather than taking the dash out again. I'm pretty damn handy, but I had never replaced the heat before on any vehicle.

There is something weird happening with my thermostat (on the dash). It started switching from F to C last week. I kept having to switch it back, but then two days ago it started displaying a temp that was 10+ degrees higher than it should be. For example, when I left for work this morning it was 25 degrees outside, but my display said it was 38 outside.

Quick Reply: Dashboard warning lights after heat has been on for 25 minutes