Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

dealer installs new mygig rer and now I have NO VIDEO!!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer installs new mygig rer and now I have NO VIDEO!!

I took my Jeep in because I was having the No Audio issue with my RER Mygig.
I told the dealership there was a software update for this problem as I was running 9.713 at the time. The video was working while parked with Brake applied.
The idiots replaced my whole unit instead
Now I do not have video at all. I took it back and tried to explain that it was only a software issue but they insisted on replacing the radio a second time, and Guess What? Still NO Video! Now on my third radio and they are clueless.....
The last unit they replaced had software 1.222 I think. I read the forum and updated the software to 2.042 and installed a mic kit. Everything is working except for the video. I have searched and searched and I keep finding a TSB for the starscan to enable video. I went to the dealer today and they brought out the starscan and enabled the video, and it still does not work.

Has anyone else had this experience and is there any other way to get my video back other than a lockpick device? What sucks about this is that the dealer says that on my older model radio the video was active, and at some point it appears Jeep decided that video should not work on any Manual shift tranny regardless of delivery state is this correct?
Thanks for any help...

Last edited by hambone303; 10-06-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

EDIT: do you have a manual??? You can't have video on a manual wrangler.

When they initiate or setup the MyGig with the starscan tool there is an option on the scanners menu to enable video. I believe by default it is set to off. They would need to go through the menu and enable it. No biggie just trying to explain this to them and actually having them do it might be a pain. Maybe try a different dealer.

Mike
Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 PM
JK Newbie

Yes I have a Manual and I did have video, I used to watch movies while waiting to pick my kids up from school.
I watched them do this He enabled the video with the starscan but it still will not work. I guess I will have to try another dealership, the guy (jeep tech) was trying to fix it, but he was in over his head i believe

Last edited by hambone303; 10-06-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I see you did say that. If you have a manual tranny then it wont enable the video because having video in the front is against the law while driving. The only way to have video is if the truck is in park and that tells the MyGig its safe to play video. In a manual the Mygig has no idea if its in park, 1st, 3rd etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 PM
JK Newbie

From what I have read, there are two safeties to keep the video from playing, One is based on the parking brake and the other is a mercury switch I believe that senses vehicle movement or speed. What makes this so bad for me is that I had video before..so I know it is simply a software thing. If I am not able to figure this out soon, I may try to contact Harmon Becker. I just found their number. Thanks
Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FunJK
I see you did say that. If you have a manual tranny then it wont enable the video because having video in the front is against the law while driving. The only way to have video is if the truck is in park and that tells the MyGig its safe to play video. In a manual the Mygig has no idea if its in park, 1st, 3rd etc.
This is incorrect. I have a manual and the video will display just fine as long as the parking break is set and the vehicle is not in motion. Having said that, I bought the lockpick anyway because I wanted video/nav in motion too.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hummm yea then try a different dealer, very interesting. I think it all has to do with the manual. Also do you know if having video even in park up front is legal in your state. Their starscan may not be able to actually enable it if its illegal even if the tech went through the steps. Some wranglers came from the factory with the vid enabled and some didn't for whatever reason.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Humm I have a few buddies with manuals and their video wont work. When they looked into it I could have sworn they were told "because its a manual" I have an auto and was able to enable the video no problem.

Oh well just trying to help and figure this out with ya

Originally Posted by smokeman
This is incorrect. I have a manual and the video will display just fine as long as the parking break is set and the vehicle is not in motion. Having said that, I bought the lockpick anyway because I wanted video/nav in motion too.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hambone303
From what I have read, there are two safeties to keep the video from playing, One is based on the parking brake and the other is a mercury switch I believe that senses vehicle movement or speed. What makes this so bad for me is that I had video before..so I know it is simply a software thing. If I am not able to figure this out soon, I may try to contact Harmon Becker. I just found their number. Thanks
Is your nav entry also affected or just the video? If its just the latter, I would assume the starscan was performed correctly.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FunJK
I have a manual tran with MyGig Navi and it plays video if the parking brake is on and vehicle is not moving. This worked with 1.222 and still works after the 2.042 update.

Quick Reply: dealer installs new mygig rer and now I have NO VIDEO!!