Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Difference between programmer and tuner

Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between programmer and tuner

Guys, many of the websites, about car parts, keep saying that programmer and tuner it`s the same thing. That "the terms are often used interchangeably". Does it?
When i was on another JK forum,i had a conversation about tuning the car, and how it can improve your engine performance. Users said. that these things not the same.
Unfortunately, i can`t find this thread to ask them about the difference.
Really appreciate the reply.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Shawn Mendes
Guys, many of the websites, about car parts, keep saying that programmer and tuner it`s the same thing. That "the terms are often used interchangeably". Does it?
When i was on another JK forum,i had a conversation about tuning the car, and how it can improve your engine performance. Users said. that these things not the same.
Unfortunately, i can`t find this thread to ask them about the difference.
Really appreciate the reply.
Here's my definition:
A programmer typically can make minor changes like TPMS pressure, gear ratios, and install pre-written (canned) tunes developed by the manufacturer of the device. The hardware is usually a plastic box with a screen for a user interface and a cable that connects to the OBD port. Examples are from Diablosport, SuperChips, Hypertech.

A tuning program is run from a laptop computer which is connected to the OBD port. There is a full range of changes, everything that goes into a "canned tune" and more. HPTuners is an example, and what I use.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Programmers change the variables in the computer. Input a new tire size so the computer can calculate distance/rotation/rpm's, whatever it actually does. Input a new gear ratio for the same reason, so the computer knows that it was changed and can make the correct caculations. Turn on/off daytime running lights. Adjust the threshold of the pressure in the tires. Turn on/off TPMS functionality altogether. etc, etc. These functions do nothing for overall engine performance, they just update the information in the computer.

Tuners affect the HP/Torque. Depending on which 'tune' you use, you might see 5-8 additional HP. (yeah, the splooge on the side of the tuner box might say 'gain 20-25HP !', whatever. That is way up in the rpm's...) Some tunes are geared toward better mileage. Some are geared toward towing. Some are geared toward max power and require more expensive fuel. Tuners will also include 'Programmer' functionality as well as the tuning capability.

I have had several programmers and several tuners on my 2008 JK, and have not been impressed with any of the 'tunes'. For me, the real choice is between the programmers. AEV ProCal is my favorite, but it is very basic and still uses dipswitches. The Superchips FlashCal has a nice screen, is internet updateable, and is capable of being upgraded to a Tuner. But, being updateable can be a bad thing, as errors can and do occur, and their tech support blows.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-15-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Difference between programmer and tuner