Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Direct to battery with wiring.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct to battery with wiring.

Is there anything bad besides a switch blowing up if I connect to the battery?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

What are you wiring? My CB positive goes direct to the battery, no issues there. Just need to make sure don't leave it on after the Jeep is off.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Offer us some more info as to what exactly your connecting to your battery so we can be more help to you.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

I have two switches connected directly to the terminal at the fuse box which I suppose is like connecting directly to the battery, I also have two power chords that go to relays for my fogs and driving lights connected to the battery.
Also both switches leds turn red when the lights are off so when the jeep is off the red lights stay on is that okay thats not going to kill my battery right?

Last edited by matt852; 04-05-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt852
I have two switches connected directly to the terminal at the fuse box which I suppose is like connecting directly to the battery, I also have two power chords that go to relays for my fogs and driving lights connected to the battery.
Also both switches leds turn red when the lights are off so when the jeep is off the red lights stay on is that okay thats not going to kill my battery right?
Well, if the lighting in the switches are staying lit after the vehicle is turned off, your drawing from the battery. Not sure how long it would take but it will drain it eventually. Shouldn't the lights in the switches work only when using the switches?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Serg5000
Well, if the lighting in the switches are staying lit after the vehicle is turned off, your drawing from the battery. Not sure how long it would take but it will drain it eventually. Shouldn't the lights in the switches work only when using the switches?
Not these switches when the lights outside are off the light is red when their on their green.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

LEDs don't draw much, but I would want them to go out when the Jeep is off.

The wires you have from the fuse box and from the battery: are they protected by a fuse that will blow before the wire burns up in case of a short? A fuse in or near the accessory will not serve that purpose.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
LEDs don't draw much, but I would want them to go out when the Jeep is off.

The wires you have from the fuse box and from the battery: are they protected by a fuse that will blow before the wire burns up in case of a short? A fuse in or near the accessory will not serve that purpose.
There is no fuse between the battery and the switch the kit came with the switch powers ending being a terminal which suggested battery. What would cause a short? I'm planning on connecting my other lights's switch power also at the same spot.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
There is no fuse between the battery and the switch the kit came with the switch powers ending being a terminal which suggested battery. What would cause a short? I'm planning on connecting my other lights's switch power also at the same spot.
Anywhere the positive wire comes near metal there is the potential for abrasion and a short. Also, if the item you are powering with the wire has no fuse protection of its own, it could go bad internally and overload the wire.
Any time you run a wire more than a short distance from the battery, it should be protected by a fuse near the battery.
A fuse box near the battery is the best way to go because each circuit will have its own fuse, rated to protect the wire.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Anywhere the positive wire comes near metal there is the potential for abrasion and a short. Also, if the item you are powering with the wire has no fuse protection of its own, it could go bad internally and overload the wire.
Any time you run a wire more than a short distance from the battery, it should be protected by a fuse near the battery.
A fuse box near the battery is the best way to go because each circuit will have its own fuse, rated to protect the wire.
Thanks for you help I'm going to buy some fuses holders now. Where would you recommend me tapping the wire for my second set of lights since that switches power wires is very short could I use something like this? I'm thinking the cig lighter most people say but I don't know which wire to tap.

with the green and white being the thing I'm tapping into and the yellow being the the second switches power wire?

Last edited by matt852; 04-05-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Direct to battery with wiring.