Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Do I need separate grounds

Old 01-21-2019, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need separate grounds

Good afternoon all. I am new to the Jeep world and I am working on an accessory panel were the lower switch panel would go. I have two (2) port usb chargers and a volt meter. They will run to my DLC6 power source. Do I need to run separate ground wires or is common power and ground ok as shown

Old 02-15-2019, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure where the actual grounding point and power supply is for where you want to tap into but since the USB ports draw so little current I would think that wiring them in parallel as you have done should be OK.. One test I would do, however, is watch the voltage when power from the USB is being used as compared to no load at all. If no deviation is observed you should be OK. If, however, you see a voltage swing it would indicate that your connections are not adequate, too small of a wire is feeding your device, or the power source you are tapped into will not supply adequate power for the current draw you have. Not sure what a DLC6 is and a Google search came up empty so cannot comment on that aspect of your posting.

Good Luck, and welcome to the Forum!

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Last edited by KG6SLC; 02-15-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Do I need separate grounds