Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

door wiring

Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door wiring

I installed aftermarket door locks last years. Works great, but I've had to replace the driver's side wiring twice now because of wear on the wires. All the opening and shutting puts a stress on the wires. I've tried the wrap-around plastic protector, and the "loom" type wire protector, but with the same so-so results.
Anyone know of a product that will protect the wires, yet stay flexible? Maybe some type of 5-wire conductor that will bend easy? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it the bending of the wires that is causing them to break or the stretching?

If it's the bending, the wires are the weak point and you should look into more flexible ones.

If it's the stretching, you need a canvas strap or something to keep the door from opening too much.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default door wiring

Its not the stretching, its the bending. The aftermarket kit requires five wires to the driver's side door, so it doesnt fit through the factory black fabric mesh loom. I installed a flexible 5-wire conductor this weekend, which may help. We'll see.
Any other ideas for a more "flexible" solution would be welcome.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

you need to use high strand count wires, they are more flexible and have smaller softer copper strands. Generally the higher priced name brands like stinger etc will be this type. And yes i know we are talking about small wires not amp wires.

Quick Reply: door wiring