Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dual Battery Help

Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Benchmarks Dual Battery Smart Isolator is the Bomb it works AWESOME ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Batteries 3.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	116943
Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.
If you're not camping and using accessories with the Jeep off, Stage 1 will be just fine for you.
Can you upgrade Stage 1 to Stage 3 with the Stage 2 to 3 kit? Or is that only if you had Stage 2 installed?

Just trying to think down the road if I wanted to upgrade...
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

These are the best options for batteries, but any group 34 or 34/78 battery can work.

Odyssey PC1500 34/78 & 34M
Diehard Platinum P-1 & PM-2
Optima Yellow Top 34 & 34/78
I've got my sights set on your stage 3 system. I heard that both batteries should be bought at the same time. Is this essential? Because I just bought a new group 34/78 battery at Costco a couple of months ago, and I was hoping I could get away with just buying a second one when I buy this dual battery system. Oh, and do both batteries have to be the same brand?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sharkbait08
Can you upgrade Stage 1 to Stage 3 with the Stage 2 to 3 kit? Or is that only if you had Stage 2 installed?

Just trying to think down the road if I wanted to upgrade...
Yes, they're all 100% upgradeable.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

Ok im going to throw question out there. Lets say that i buy any of the three different dual battery stages and all of the sudden one or both batteries die on me (this is hypothetical, ok guys). How would a person go about getting a jump start with and with out the battery isolator?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yomondo
I've got my sights set on your stage 3 system. I heard that both batteries should be bought at the same time. Is this essential? Because I just bought a new group 34/78 battery at Costco a couple of months ago, and I was hoping I could get away with just buying a second one when I buy this dual battery system. Oh, and do both batteries have to be the same brand?
Matching batteries is important in a dual battery setup that uses a diode isolator. We don't. We use a solenoid isolator, so along with other benefits, you can run different age/type batteries.

Take a look at the picture below. See how the top clamp bridges across the 2 batteries? Just make sure that whatever batteries you use, the top clamp clamps evenly. And if you're using something other than the standard Odysseys, Optimas, or Die Hard Platinums, verify that there's plenty of hood clearance.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
Ok im going to throw question out there. Lets say that i buy any of the three different dual battery stages and all of the sudden one or both batteries die on me (this is hypothetical, ok guys). How would a person go about getting a jump start with and with out the battery isolator?

Stage 1 - Put jumper cables on either Jeep battery and jump start the same as any other vehicle.

Stage 2 - VERY unlikely to have a dead Main battery. But if you did, you could put jumper cables from the Aux to the Main battery and jump start yourself.

Stage 3 - Also VERY unlikely to have a dead Main battery. But if you did, there are provisions for a "self jump start" button that you can install when putting the kit in. Or just use cables like Stage 2.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Matching batteries is important in a dual battery setup that uses a diode isolator. We don't. We use a solenoid isolator, so along with other benefits, you can run different age/type batteries.

Take a look at the picture below. See how the top clamp bridges across the 2 batteries? Just make sure that whatever batteries you use, the top clamp clamps evenly. And if you're using something other than the standard Odysseys, Optimas, or Die Hard Platinums, verify that there's plenty of hood clearance.
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

yep i can say my yellow top went bad in my stage 3 benchmark setup. Dying all the time. I had the switch in the cab didnt even have to open my hood and i was on my way.

Quick Reply: Dual Battery Help