Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

DVD won't play while driving

Old 02-27-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD won't play while driving

Sorry, if this is a repeat question - did several searches but no luck.
The wife put a DVD (movie) in the other day - worked fine. But as soon as I disengaged the E-brake and started moving - the movie goes off. Is there a way to make it possible for the passenger to watch movies while your driving.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have to do some fancy re-wiring.

It's turns off as a safety feature so the driver is paying attention to the road and not the movie.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

It's a built-in safety feature. You can disable it by buying the lockpick for the jk, which will fool the dvd player's CAN Bus in order to play it. Note that playing DVDs on the front screen while driving is illegal in many jurisdictions, so don't let the police catch you with it running while you're driving. The lockpick you can find on ebay or countless other websites. And lastly, you may have not searched hard enough because this question has been answered hundreds of times on this forum.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

yeahhh u need to find the parking break sensor wire i believe its pink and hook it up to a power source thats all ways on, or the best way to do it is to go online and type in the model you have and search for a parking brake over ride code and that should work also.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info - your probably right Dre64 - I've been seeing threads on the lockpick and just didn't know what they were taking about. I've been told that I should make a cover for the screen just in case a cop happens to pass by. I told even like talking on the phone when I drive - so I won't be watching movies.

Thanks again
Old 02-27-2010, 09:24 PM
JK Freak

Locating the pink (usually) e-brake wire like he mentioned is the cheapest way to go about this. You can re-wire it to the pink/white ignition wire connected to the steering column. On when the car is on, but turns off when the car is not. So if a cop did pull you over you could prove that you weren't watching a movie (just don't start the car)
Old 02-27-2010, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Thats a BIG negative on unhooking/moving wires on the e-brake. Good way to really screw something up on the JK. The JK has a thing called can-bus. EVERYTHING is computer controlled in some way, shape, or form, to include the stereo/mygig. The DVD feature is disabled when you start moving, not when you turn off the e-brake. The vehicle speed sensor is what causes this. As soon as the computer detects the Jeep is moving, it disables the DVD feature, as well as a few other things, like destination input on the nav. Lockpick is the only way to go.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

I wasn't aware that even the e-brake sensor was can-bus, I assumed it was analog my bad.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Search for allgig instead
Old 02-28-2010, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

It's not so much the ebrake being canbus, the DVD function is disabled by the PCM when the vehicle speed sensors(one at each wheel) detects the vehicle is moving. Forgot about allgig, it's a good one similar to lockpick.

Quick Reply: DVD won't play while driving