Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electrical issues

Old 05-02-2019, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues

I have a 2008 Sahara 4 door. I took it to dealership for clockspring factory recall a month ago. After the repair, the horn worked intermittenly, and now a month after the repair the horn, front and rear wipers, washer fluid pump and parking lights would not turn off, even after turning off jeep and removing key. Disconnected the battery twice for 24 hours each time and after the second time disconnecting the battery, the jeep was acting normal. Took it back to dealership and they say it is a bad instrument cluster. I am questioning this diagnosis and also questioning if the clock spring replacement is linked. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues

Hi pfav
Unfortunately the dealership has a point in that the instrument cluster needs coms to the TIPM and PCM. The coms diagnosis is complicated and detailed in the manufacturer's workshop manual. This is available at emanualonline.com for around $20. It's a good buy for hundreds of pages.
The reason the lights and wipers come on is intended to be a safety thing. Your cycling the power to the electronics is correct, in that when you do it once everything may work, but once you turn the key off you will be back to the beginning, and have to cycle the power again.

There should be a Sahara owner who has replaced an instrument cluster and can tell the forum about it.

Quick Reply: Electrical issues