Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Engine codes p0520 and P06DE

Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine codes p0520 and P06DE

Recently my 2012 Wrangler sport threw these codes up. I'm thinking possible oil pressure sensor. Anyone had the same codes before?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had both of those codes 2 weeks before I moved 700 miles last month. P0520 is oil pressure circuit fail, and P06DE means it's stuck on high pressure mode. It is the oil pressure sensor, it's on the back of the oil cooler assembly, you have to take the upper and lower intake manifolds off to get to it. It only takes 30 seconds to change the sensor, but it took me 3 hours just to get to it.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:02 PM
jcw
JK Newbie

Default Oil

I always put Castrol conventional 5W20 oil in my 2013 JK since day one. A month ago I splurged for full synthetic Mobil1 and my JK threw the P06DE code the day after. Not saying that's your case, but in my case it was just the oil. The CEL light never came on again after I changed it back to the middle of the road oil and reset the CEL light. I'm assuming if you use the better oil then stick with it, but don't upgrade it after it's 4 years old from my experience.

Last edited by jcw; 06-05-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup. Just had this issue in my '14 and, unfortunately, it wasn't covered by the powertrain warranty.

Granted, this is an old thread, but for those who encounter this in the future, if you've got a OBDII programmer that'll let you clear codes, wipe them out (or disconnect the battery for 20ish minutes) and the Jeep will probably fire back up normally again. Whether it comes back or not will remain to be seen. Some have this problem once, it goes away, and that's that. Others, such as myself, eventually had to replace it after clearing codes no longer works (which is the point where the sensor switch has fully eaten it).

If you end up replacing it, I'd recommend going aftermarket. Price difference for the part is negligible.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same

I just got these two codes on my 12 Unlimited the other day. I am not all that handy with fixing cars and this is my first Jeep. What can I expect to pay to have this fixed at my local place, roughly?

For what its worth I am getting P0520 and P06DE and I did recently switch to Semi-Synthetic from a local place. Not sure if that coincides or not but interesting that this was mentioned here.

Thoughts from you experienced folk?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:48 AM
jcw
JK Newbie

I only got the P06DE code in my case, I've never had a P0520 code yet. But from I've read so far people are claiming it's the oil pressure sensor if you get a P0520. Also is there any way you can reach that thing coming from the firewall instead of taking the plenum off? It seems like that oil senor and the evap detector are very common parts that need replacing. Also both of those parts are now -AB not -AA. Anything that's been rev'd has been improved upon.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jcw
I only got the P06DE code in my case, I've never had a P0520 code yet. But from I've read so far people are claiming it's the oil pressure sensor if you get a P0520. Also is there any way you can reach that thing coming from the firewall instead of taking the plenum off? It seems like that oil senor and the evap detector are very common parts that need replacing. Also both of those parts are now -AB not -AA. Anything that's been rev'd has been improved upon.

jcw, did changing the sensor fix the problem?
I have the same issue, P06DE without P0520. I dont think the sensor is the problem with mine because i can see pressure feedback and the pressure changing on the screen.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:18 PM
jcw
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RodNet
jcw, did changing the sensor fix the problem?
I have the same issue, P06DE without P0520. I dont think the sensor is the problem with mine because i can see pressure feedback and the pressure changing on the screen.
The code came back on again and this time with both codes mentioned above, so it wasn't the oil. It did take a long time for the CEL light to come back on again so I was confident it was the oil at first. I changed the oil pressure sensor and did the plugs and the belt also seeing how it's 4 years old. That did nothing to clear the CEL light at all. The Jeep dealership said it could be a bad sensor right out of the box new. So after the all day nightmare of replacing it myself the first time I had the dealership do it this time. Believe me that is not easy or fun to replace that sensor, no way I was doing that again. The CEL is still on after the dealership changed it so I left it there and they can't seem to find the issue. They've had it for 6 days straight and still no solution on how to turn off those 2 codes yet. I finally had to take it back and bring it through emission which it failed because of the CEL being on. I have no answer how to fix this, but hoping someone does.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update?

jcw

Did you ever get this resolved? Mine is in the shop right now for its first inspection since getting these codes. I have been driving it and it runs just fine. I am interested in what they will say when they call me after finding it.

I am thinking it is related to this TSB:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/Misc/Cheroke...08_034_14a.pdf

Just wanted to see what you found or if you ever fixed it.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:49 PM
jcw
JK Newbie

We recently had a cold couple of weeks here in Connecticut like -4 to 10 for a coupe weeks straight and the light shut off for the entire time it was that cold out. I brought it through emissions and it passed, but the other day it hit 30 out and the light came back on and is still on. Whatever it is likes the bitter cold but not anything above 30. I had the oil pressure sensor switch replace 2x already by the dealership last year and it still comes on for that error no matter how many times I reset the code. Jeep dealership has no answer for me. Just like you it runs perfect, just that error won't allow you to pass emissions and that matters if your state has emissions.

Quick Reply: Engine codes p0520 and P06DE