Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Expandable foam in sound bar?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expandable foam in sound bar?

Wondering if anyone has tried this? The rear speakers do not need that volume behind them. Also want to see if I can achieve a perfect seal. Not really sure if it can be done. The front speakers are air tight and hit unbelievable, I want the rears to match.

If anyone has achieved a seal using another method I'm all ears!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
I stuffed some insulation down the tube between the speakers when I installed the Kicker's in the sound bar.. I think it's a better sound
At the moment I have foam stuffed in the middle and a fiber fill behind the speakers. still have air leak threw dome light and rattles at higher volume. Also I'm feeding front and rears the same signal and rears bottom out way before the fronts. I want to 100% air tight like the fronts, if even possible.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

I filled the center cavity of the sound bar with expanding insulation foam, worked out great, took less than one can, mine rattles alil bit some times buts because the sound bar plastic is really thin, I'm going to add a sheet of sound deadener later to remove the rattle, but it doesn't rattle for me after I tuned my front and rear gains on my amp,the rears in my case fill in the sound just alil bit.

Last edited by fastrat350; 03-24-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default use a different amp

I have seen a threat that the stock Jeep amp does not push the rear speakers so some have purchased the mopar amp that is being used in the dodge nitro. apparently it pushes the speakers harder.
I think this is the thread
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...odge+nitro+amp

Originally Posted by stockrubi
Wondering if anyone has tried this? The rear speakers do not need that volume behind them. Also want to see if I can achieve a perfect seal. Not really sure if it can be done. The front speakers are air tight and hit unbelievable, I want the rears to match.

If anyone has achieved a seal using another method I'm all ears!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used the blue can doesnt expand as much (meant for doors and windows) dont go nuts with the stuff but spray about 4-5" back on both sides...let it dry and throw in some polyfill and it will be better indeed. just make use ur new speakers come with a rubber gasket, if not u can use some thin weather stripping. a nitro amp wouldnt hurt either.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Decided to tackle this project after work today. I used the heavy expand, black can of great stuff. I did the foaming in about 3 stages, let dry and add as needed. Also left the foam I stuffed in there originally packed in to the center section. Turned my kicker amp gain from 3/4 to about 1/4~1/3. I replace my roll bar speakers with polk db651 if I did not mention this before.

What an improvement! They are much cleaner at higher volume. The base is sharp and crisp giving great control to every note. Sound almost as clean as the front components. With my amp turned down all four speakers show better control at high volumes, have not tested system with top on yet! There is still a slight buzz at some frequencies but much much less than before. No more air leaking at dome light.

A little advice to people want to replace the factory system, don't just replace the speakers. Spend some time sealing and dampening the speaker compartments. The systems is much improved from when i just installed the speakers.

Quick Reply: Expandable foam in sound bar?