Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

factory dummy switch to rocker my take

Old 02-17-2020, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default factory dummy switch to rocker my take

New guy here and figured I would share my take on the factory dummy switches. Since everyone seems to use momentary push switches I decided I had no use for that, but needed a rocker switch instead. Pretty straight forward with typical tools everyone should have. Unfortunately I didn't take pics of all the steps as this was all an afterthought.

1. With an xacto or utility knife cut the circles off the trim piece. Make sure it is as close to flush as possible.
2. Cut the dummy switch along the seam. If you look at the bottom of the other functional switches you will see the seam. I used an xacto knife to remove it.
3. Moving to the housing trim the ridges back a little bit not much is needed.
4. Rocker switch. If you look at the top and bottom of the rocker switch you will see the tabs that hold it in place. Cut it at the top crease and remove the tab towards the back of the switch. Do this on the top and bottom.
5.File or sand down the leads coming off the back of the rocker switch. I used a hacksaw to cut it close and a palm sander to remove more material. Try to remove as much as possible while still allowing enough to solder to.
6. Solder wire leads alternating sides to the bottom of the rocker switch.
7. Drill a hole in the housing that will allow the wires to pass through. I went close to the mold seam.
8. Reassemble and test function with an ohm meter.

You could epoxy the rocker switch into the housing however it is a tight fit and I believe would cause more issues.

Tools
xacto or utility knife
hacksaw/sander
soldering iron
drill and drill bit

Rocker switch was purchased from Autozone Part Number SW14422 Cambridge 15A 12vdc 180w

Quick Reply: factory dummy switch to rocker my take