Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Factory DVD/NAV Unit

Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory DVD/NAV Unit

I have a new 2010 Sahara with the navigation head unit. Of course typing of destinations is diabled while the vehicle is in motion. But when I first drove it, my wife was with me and we were fiddling with the navigation as we were driving. I swear I can remember it prompting us to agree that only the passenger would type as were were moving. But it hasn't done it since. I remember thinking that it must go off the airbag sensor in the seat to allow the passenger to type while moving. But it hasn't done it since then. Is that really a feature or was I hallucinating? If not, is there an "upgrade" to allow input while moving?

Also, what are the little cars for on the upper right corner of the display? I can find no reference in the manual.

thanks
CE
Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were hallucinating, it's disabled from the factory. I have the MyGig Lockpick for mine, and it's great. Allows Nav input while in motion, as well as DVD Video for passengers on longer trips, backup camera, all kinds of cool stuff. One of the best mods I've done to mine so far.

The cars are your Sirius Traffic subscription. When they're green you have a valid subscription and will recieve traffic flow data. When they're orange your subscription is expired. You get the first year free just like the sat radio, then you have to pay after that.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Lockpick

If you get the lockpick, it allows you to enable typing while the car is in motion. It can also give you a couple of inputs to use for a backup cam or if you wanted to plug in an xbox or some other video feed. They are typically 250-300. I actually have one that I plan on selling soon, since I have decided to sell my stock setup and go aftermarket. Let me know if you are interested. I have the lockpick and the mopar iPod input cable for the MyGig radio as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is that what the head unit is called "Mygig"?
Where do I get the lockpick? I assume its some firmware you put on a USB flash drive and install? or is it hardware?

Thanks for the info
Old 07-19-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

your wife was probably doing something with the uconnect. I have seen that prompt before. You weren't seeing things but it wasn't in the Nav section.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Inchbx13 ,
I did some searching for the lockpick and read up on it. I may be interested in it when you get ready to sell it. Any timeframe? Seems like a cool gizmo. Right now if I have to navigate while driving, I whip out my iPhone. Seems stupid to use my phone for navigation (no voice turn by turn) when I have the nice nav unit right in the dash. I know I could always stop and do it, but thats not always an option. Like last week on the Ohio turnpike at rush hour. No thanks. I'll take my chances of typing while driving versus pulling over to the side of the road anyday.

CE
Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lnchbx13
If you get the lockpick, it allows you to enable typing while the car is in motion. It can also give you a couple of inputs to use for a backup cam or if you wanted to plug in an xbox or some other video feed. They are typically 250-300. I actually have one that I plan on selling soon, since I have decided to sell my stock setup and go aftermarket. Let me know if you are interested. I have the lockpick and the mopar iPod input cable for the MyGig radio as well.
How much are you asking for your mygig?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

How difficult is it to install and where did you mount your rear camera?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Factory DVD/NAV Unit

Not too difficult to mount up. I have the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper, so I used a keyhole camera and drilled a hole in the bumper to mount it. Fits and works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

do you have to pull the head unit?

Quick Reply: Factory DVD/NAV Unit