Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Factory Fog Lights with no Wiring

Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory Fog Lights with no Wiring

I have kind of a different issue than many of the other posts on this subject. My 2007 JK took a hit-n-run smack on the front bumper (no OEM fogs) and busted the bumper up quite a bit. I wanted to keep the stock look for now and picked up a used bumper with fogs for a steal. I intended to avoid the whole "factory" hookup of the fogs thru the stalk controls by just running my own wiring thru a relay and to a dash switch, like any other aftermarket lights. Any reason I can't do this? It seems like a simple compromise, but I don't know if there are any restrictions to doing this engineered into my Jeep. Any comments out there? Thx!

2007 Bone-Stock JK
6-spd
Very Purty!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12th-Man
I have kind of a different issue than many of the other posts on this subject. My 2007 JK took a hit-n-run smack on the front bumper (no OEM fogs) and busted the bumper up quite a bit. I wanted to keep the stock look for now and picked up a used bumper with fogs for a steal. I intended to avoid the whole "factory" hookup of the fogs thru the stalk controls by just running my own wiring thru a relay and to a dash switch, like any other aftermarket lights. Any reason I can't do this? It seems like a simple compromise, but I don't know if there are any restrictions to doing this engineered into my Jeep. Any comments out there? Thx!

2007 Bone-Stock JK
6-spd
Very Purty!

I don't know, but I will soon. My JK did not come with fogs so I added them using a 12V relay and hooked up the trigger wire to my parking lights. That way I have no lights/fogs with parking lamps/high beams with fogs/ low beams with fogs. I could be wrong, but I think that the factory fog setup will not allow brights and fogs at the same time.

A good friend of mine is giving me a headlight/turn signal stalk that has fog control on it. I plan to wire the fog portion to my ignition so that the trigger only works when the key is on and then I am wiring the output end of the switch to the trigger of my relay.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 12th-Man

2007 Bone-Stock JK
6-spd
Very Purty!
Go fer it, it will work fine, in fact you can boost the output of those lights by switching lamps. There are many articles on both those subjects right here.

Enjoy.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

might want to rethink the factory option
justforjeeps.com/prfoglakit.html was 118 shipped...

you might spend half that rigging up something. pay a little more and get the factory look....its not a bad deal...

just a thought
Old 06-01-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Great comments! Thanks everyone for the tips!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=12th-Man;1150659]I intended to avoid the whole "factory" hookup of the fogs thru the stalk controls by just running my own wiring thru a relay and to a dash switch, like any other aftermarket lights. Any reason I can't do this? It seems like a simple compromise, but I don't know if there are any restrictions to doing this engineered into my Jeep. Any comments out there? Thx!QUOTE]

Here is what I did

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/FogMod.pdf

Quick Reply: Factory Fog Lights with no Wiring