Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Factory infinity amp causing front right speaker crack/pop

Old 11-12-2013, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory infinity amp causing front right speaker crack/pop

I am getting a pop in my front right speaker. I took it in to the dealer and was told Chrysler is aware of a problem but does not have a remedy at this time. The pop/crack happens at any level above 20 and with the bass in the negatives. They replaced two speakers and told me the bass was to high. I had to persuade the service rep to come out to listen and I showed him how it would distort with bass set low. If I set balance all the way to the right it goes away even with bass and volume cranked up. I ended up replacing the head unit hoping to fix this and I am still having the same issue. I can only control it now by the setting the hpf to 100hz. It really sucks having my speakers cutting out at 100 and my sub at 60s. I am thinking the amp is now the cause even after the dealer told me it wasnt. Anybody have any ideas on what the problem could be? I have searched for amps and cannot find any replacements. I'm assuming pre 11 amps will not work. I have a 12 Jeep Wrangler w/ infinity system.

Also, my lights dim if I roll my window past max. This is not intentional but I happened to notice it by hitting the wrong button while driving. The radio now dims the lights after the addition of a sub and amp. Could this be a power issue for the factory amp to distort? I thought a 160amp alternator would be plenty of juice for the whole stereo system. I was thinking of upgrading the big 3? I appreciate any help.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Billdozer
I am getting a pop in my front right speaker. I took it in to the dealer and was told Chrysler is aware of a problem but does not have a remedy at this time. The pop/crack happens at any level above 20 and with the bass in the negatives. They replaced two speakers and told me the bass was to high. I had to persuade the service rep to come out to listen and I showed him how it would distort with bass set low. If I set balance all the way to the right it goes away even with bass and volume cranked up. I ended up replacing the head unit hoping to fix this and I am still having the same issue. I can only control it now by the setting the hpf to 100hz. It really sucks having my speakers cutting out at 100 and my sub at 60s. I am thinking the amp is now the cause even after the dealer told me it wasnt. Anybody have any ideas on what the problem could be? I have searched for amps and cannot find any replacements. I'm assuming pre 11 amps will not work. I have a 12 Jeep Wrangler w/ infinity system.

Also, my lights dim if I roll my window past max. This is not intentional but I happened to notice it by hitting the wrong button while driving. The radio now dims the lights after the addition of a sub and amp. Could this be a power issue for the factory amp to distort? I thought a 160amp alternator would be plenty of juice for the whole stereo system. I was thinking of upgrading the big 3? I appreciate any help.
my 2009 does the same pop, same speaker, etc... its a known issue with these things. Its not worth having the stock speakers replaced with more stock speakers or the head unit replaced. I recall from someone here on the board that it had been traced to a gain issue with the Infinity amp. (I replaced my OEM head with a Clarion, still using stock amp/speakers and still have the pop)

The dimming lights - make sure your grounds are exceptional for your amp(s), wire is good quality/big enough gauge and upgrade your big-3. I don't know what other draws you have on your system (aux lights, silverstars, etc...) the stock alt should be good for a modest system upgrade, but obviously every added accessory will make a difference.

Otherwise, what you're seeing is fairly par for the course.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Is there any way to fix it? I assume by what your saying an amp replacement would not fix the problem. Should I try some kind of frequency (bass) blocker for the front. I have the hpf set to 100hz now and get an occasional pop. I would think a 120 cut off would be safe. The worst part is with the Pac harness I have no fade so all of the speakers are limited to that frequency even the factory sub. Appreciate any help.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billdozer
Is there any way to fix it? I assume by what your saying an amp replacement would not fix the problem. Should I try some kind of frequency (bass) blocker for the front. I have the hpf set to 100hz now and get an occasional pop. I would think a 120 cut off would be safe. The worst part is with the Pac harness I have no fade so all of the speakers are limited to that frequency even the factory sub. Appreciate any help.
. Try getting one of the "Alpine" factory amps that started in the 2013s

Quick Reply: Factory infinity amp causing front right speaker crack/pop