Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog Light wiring?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Christiana, Tennessee, United States, United States
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Light wiring?

OK I have been looking for some stock fogs, and know I can get them here...
my question is how is everyone wiring them in. I plan to use a seperate switch so i can run the fogs with the brights still on. my main concern is where can i get the piece that the bulb attaches to and that goes in to the housing thats attached to the bumper. Does that make sence? Essentially what the bulb screws into that the wires are attached to>>>>

I am guesing you want the piece the light plugs into that has wires on it. Any Auto parts store SHOULD be able to get that for you.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 02-15-2008 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:20 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think you should be able to get a standard H10 bulb socket at a local auto parts store?

not 100% sure as i havent tried to get that exact socket, but i have bought others in the past.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will all h10 bulb housings fit the stock reflecter housing that mounts to the bumper?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Eternal ***erator

Oh, good question, didnt think of that.

IIRC the bulb itself mates to the lamp assembly though, not the socket... (but it has been awhile since i did that, i cant remember for sure, so i could be wrong)

Does anyone know?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

As for the wiring, the cleanest install you could do to keep them on with the highs would be to use a relay, run power from the battery, and signal from a parking light wire. That would turn the fogs on any time the parking lights are on.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

this is what i did, i got a cheap relay from advance auto parts and ran a wire from the battery to the relay to the lights. then i put my switches in the bottom piece of useless plastic in the center console (in front of shifter). then i took a signal wire from the cigarette lighter. you can do this because there is no load on this wire it is just a 12v signal to the relay. very simple.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea , im good with the wiring part, my question is if i get the reflector ( the part that mounts to the bumper) where can i find the peice that the wires connect to and that the bulb fits in? If someone can post a pics of the light out of the bumper I can better point out what i mean. PLEASE
Old 02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

The harness/sockets are coded for the type of bulb it takes...for example, the fogs use a 9145, which is an H10 - and all H10 sockets and receptacle and bulbs are shaped the same...to prevent you accidentally inserting a 65 watt 9005 bulb into the 45 watt 9145 socket, even though they look similar. (Shave half of one tab off, and you have a 9005 bulb that will insert into the fog light housing for example...)

So, any way - they are standardized.

9145's (FOG) are also H10's....same thing.

The Headlights are H13's, 0r 9008's, same thing.

You CAN buy a heavy duty adapter that will allow you to use a higher than stock wattage 9008/H13 into the headlight socket of your headlights, w/o melting the oem harness, etc.

Same for the H10's, etc.

Some people shave off half of one tab, turning the 9005 bulb into the same mount as the 9145, giving them a 65 watt fog light instead of a 45 watt fog light, etc...The lens is what shapes the light's out put, so its just brighter.

People with fogs that took 55 watt H3 bulbs, cold get 100 watt bulbs...but had to bend the socket prongs to make it able to insert, etc....

So - all of the various mounts have various interlocking tabs and clips, etc...so you don't get confused, and use the "wrong one" in the socket, etc.

And so forth.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

What the arrow is pointing at is what im trying to figure out where to get and if anyone has a part number for a auto parts store for it?
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...m_attached.JPG

Last edited by TN-MEDIC-14; 02-15-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TN-MEDIC-14
What the arrow is pointing at is what im trying to figure out where to get and if anyone has a part number for a auto parts store for it?
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...m_attached.JPG
That's just a wiring harness. I doubt you'll find one of those at the local auto parts store, but you could definitely order/find one at your local dealer parts store.

I couldn't find any part numbers for you, but here's a better picture.

Last edited by JackMac4; 02-16-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Fog Light wiring?