Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog Lights With Brights

Old 10-04-2007, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fog Lights With Brights

I was lazy and didn't search too hard so I didn't find anything on this:
Anyone know why the fog lights go out when we turn on the brights?
And better yet, anyone know a way around this?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am curious as well... and it further intrigues me as to why you can have your brights AND fogs on when using the momentary (pull forward) switch... but not the "always brights on" switch. I am using the factory cables to the steering column with some aftermarket lights and would like to disable this feature
Old 10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

From what I understand, highbeams should NOT be used when there's fog (it makes it worse or something), so that feature makes sense to me.

js.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some states have laws requiring the fogs lights to be off while the high beams are on, i would think that it's a glare issue. If you happen to live in one of those states and they have yearly inspections, bypassing this "feature" will fail the vehicle.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
From what I understand, highbeams should NOT be used when there's fog (it makes it worse or something), so that feature makes sense to me.

js.
That does make sense, but what about when there's no fog? I know things out there aren't supposed to make sense, but shouldn't we be able to figure that out?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Either way illeagal or not I would still like to have my fog lights on when the highbeams are on!
So if anyone has done this mod let me know!!!
I have done it on my wifes care but it was just done with changing something with the fuse box don't quite remember it was 6 years ago.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by John L
Some states have laws requiring the fogs lights to be off while the high beams are on, i would think that it's a glare issue. If you happen to live in one of those states and they have yearly inspections, bypassing this "feature" will fail the vehicle.
Inspections? We don't need no stinkin' inspections... If we live in a state without'em and we (unbelievably) have the sense to dim our lights when someone's approaching us... Why????
Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by seer1
Inspections? We don't need no stinkin' inspections... If we live in a state without'em and we (unbelievably) have the sense to dim our lights when someone's approaching us... Why????
CAN WE GET A AMEN!!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D'sjk
Either way illeagal or not I would still like to have my fog lights on when the highbeams are on!
So if anyone has done this mod let me know!!!
I have done it on my wifes care but it was just done with changing something with the fuse box don't quite remember it was 6 years ago.
I'm curious as to why you want to run fogs with high beams.
If your traveling at, say, 65, that's 95.3 feet per second. High beams reach further to give more reaction time. Anything that happens in the dark spot in front of the jeep while moving at speed happens too fast to react to, other than a quick oh shit . At 75, it's 110 fps, at 85, 124 fps.....you get the point.

Now, if it's for wheeling, that's a whole different ballgame, the more lights the better!!!!

Doing this mod used to be an easy task, but now we have big brother (the computer), who thinks he knows best and might not allow such Tom Foolery......good luck with this, if you find a way let us know!!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by John L
I'm curious as to why you want to run fogs with high beams.
If your traveling at, say, 65, that's 95.3 feet per second. High beams reach further to give more reaction time. Anything that happens in the dark spot in front of the jeep while moving at speed happens too fast to react to, other than a quick oh shit . At 75, it's 110 fps, at 85, 124 fps.....you get the point.

Now, if it's for wheeling, that's a whole different ballgame, the more lights the better!!!!

Doing this mod used to be an easy task, but now we have big brother (the computer), who thinks he knows best and might not allow such Tom Foolery......good luck with this, if you find a way let us know!!

Hell,
I live off of a dirt road that's off a dirt road that's off a dirt road. I'm talking 35 mph and I really don't wanna test my new bumper on a mule deer's ass. I don't wanna test my tire treads on a skunk's ass either. Highs and fogs seem like they'd give me the best chance of doing neither. Right now I run my windshield KC's, driving lights and fogs. It works good, but it'd sure be great if I didn't have to fumble around for my windshield light switch when I see a car coming on.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights With Brights