Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog lights are burning out

Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fog lights are burning out

I"ve got a set of KC slimlites(not sure exactly what model)

it seems like every 3 months i'm replacing the bulbs..in the winter i run 'em in the morning and evening commute..how long are the supposed to last? i know KC will replace bulbs..

is there something wrong with my wiring that they're burning out so quick?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many watts are the lights. The higher the wattage the quicker they burn out, and more fragile the filiments are to breakage (especially when the lights are on).
Old 01-09-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the KC Slim fogs on my TJ, I'm pretty sure they're 100 watt, and when the origianl KC bulb fried after 8 mos on one, I got some Sylvania replacements from Advance. The little metal ring that seats them in the light was different somehow from the KC's, an extra tab or something easily corrected with pliers. Those bulbs held up for the next 12 mos. until I traded it on the JK. But them being 100 watt makes them illegal I believe, can't go over 55 watts on road, at least in VA, so I was real careful when I used them, which was mostly going over the Blue Ridge in fog about 3K ft. above sea level.

Quick Reply: Fog lights are burning out