Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Got flashed driving at night

Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got flashed driving at night

Someone else posted about the issue of having driver's flash their lights at you as they pass b/c they think you are riding with your brights on... it happened for the first time last week and since has happened around 15 times

My questions:

1. Who else has had this happen??

2. What kinda light should i rig up to flash back... something uber bright that will send the swerving into the trees?? j/k... kinda... well, maybe not

it is annoying b/c some people flash quickly and once and some asses turn them on and honk the horn all the way to you...
Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read about this happening. It's weird because I don't feel like my headlights or my brights are nearly bright enough. My sotck Ford Explorer lit up the road 100 times more than my JK does. Maybe it's where they are aimed-- I guess if they are aimed too high they would be blinding to other drivers and not illuminating the road properly...
Old 03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07JKX
Someone else posted about the issue of having driver's flash their lights at you as they pass b/c they think you are riding with your brights on... it happened for the first time last week and since has happened around 15 times

My questions:

1. Who else has had this happen??

2. What kinda light should i rig up to flash back... something uber bright that will send the swerving into the trees?? j/k... kinda... well, maybe not

it is annoying b/c some people flash quickly and once and some asses turn them on and honk the horn all the way to you...
How about 4 of these facing forward, and 2 facing rearward. That should solve most problems and Cause sunburns up to 27.2 miles in either direction.

http://scienceservice.si.edu/pages/122007.htm

*still laughing at the "small mercury light unit" in the guys hand*
Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 07JKX
Ha! That's a great idea!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 AM
JK Junkie

I've been flashed twice in my JK, and boy were they nice pairs... Oh - we're talking about the other headlights...

I really have been flashed twice, and a simple flick of my high beams shows them that I wasn't driving around with the brights on. I find my stock headlights to be very bright, and they do a great job illuminating the road in front of me. I DO think that the stock high beams leave a bit to be desired, or are perhaps just aimed too high?

It's possible that your standard headlights are misadjusted a little too high, in which case you'd be doing people a favor by running with your high beams on instead, as the light would sail up over them... this happened in my Durango years back.

If you have fog lights on, it'd do well to briefly hit the high beams in response to their flash... then they'll see that the fogs cut out, and it'll dawn on them that you're not being a d1ck. Other than that, maybe you'd want to rig a light bracket on your front bumper, and tie it in with your brights... that way, if you NEED to be a jerk, you can assure retinal scarring for the other party.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
How about 4 of these facing forward, and 2 facing rearward. That should solve most problems and Cause sunburns up to 27.2 miles in either direction.

http://scienceservice.si.edu/pages/122007.htm

[snip]
I have one of these.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ight&noImage=0

Or this would be better
......Reaches distances of up to 1/2 a mile away......
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...164&hasJS=true
Old 03-28-2007, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been on the other end of this situation a few times-- I flash a car (a truck usually) because I think they've left their brights on... then they flick their brights at me and I think "oh, okay..."

Best course of action-- flash your brights at them, to show that you DON'T have them on high beam!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper

oh man, i want the second one!!!!!

preadjusted to an approximate standard distance of course...
Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tedlick
I've been on the other end of this situation a few times-- I flash a car (a truck usually) because I think they've left their brights on... then they flick their brights at me and I think "oh, okay..."

Best course of action-- flash your brights at them, to show that you DON'T have them on high beam!
Better course of action...... ....I GOT IT!!!!

Mount one of those giant spot lights car dealerships have that they shine up into the air, on the top of your jk. Then when they do that flash their lights at you...AAAAAAAAAAA (it's supposed to a a chorus)....they are completely blinded.......................that or they are thinkin' "It's the ghost light!!! Run!!!" (Mater):toung:
Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
oh man, i want the second one!!!!!

preadjusted to an approximate standard distance of course...
Yeah isn't that one sweet. You could buy four of them and make a lightbar.

Quick Reply: Got flashed driving at night