Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

GPS for Jeep Trails

Old 10-09-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS for Jeep Trails

Anyone have a GPS they use specifically for Jeep Trails/Hiking?

I looked at a Garmin Dakota 20 on clearance (With topo maps) at REI.

I currently have an old Garmin Nuvi that I use for road driving. I felt it to be inadequate for trails as it didn't leave "Bread Crumbs", but only way points which you couldn't create a route with (that is, using multiple way points).

Any suggestions/opinions/stories are welcomed!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilflyya
Anyone have a GPS they use specifically for Jeep Trails/Hiking?

I looked at a Garmin Dakota 20 on clearance (With topo maps) at REI.

I currently have an old Garmin Nuvi that I use for road driving. I felt it to be inadequate for trails as it didn't leave "Bread Crumbs", but only way points which you couldn't create a route with (that is, using multiple way points).

Any suggestions/opinions/stories are welcomed!
I use the Garmin Foretex 401. You can also download your route to Google Earth, make waypoints, etc.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

You should look at the Nuvi 500, at least for use in your Jeep (maybe not so great for hiking). I'm not sure that it will do everything that you want, but it might (I'm a GPS neophyte).

Here's my write-up on installing in the JK:

My GPS Answer (Nuvi 500)

You can read the owner's manual here: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/nuvi500_OwnersManual.pdf
Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS for trail and street

I have a street pilot for getting to and from trails and a 76 maps unit for trail running. I have topo maps loaded into the trail unit and it can be used to creat a trail map of areas you use and then they can be printed out. Both of these are garmin units and they can be updated online to keep them up to date on the gps sat systems as the system is changed with the addition of the european sats going online.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which nuvi do you have? My 265 doesn't leave breadcrumbs. It has a track log. Same thing different name. Somewhere in the menus you can turn it on and off. You can also export the data to a file.

I am disappointed my nuvi doesn't save, import or export routes. I am impressed with the map. Most of the trails I have been on are on it as dirt roads. The stagecoach trail absolutely amazed me! That was nothing but a path through rocks.

Quick Reply: GPS for Jeep Trails