Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

GPS screen image ?

Old 03-21-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS screen image ?

Here's a strange one. Maybe you guys can help. I recently installed my Garmin 276C into my X Unlimited. I wired it directly to the battery with the 2amp inline fuse (included with the wiring bundle) on the positive side. The only difference between this install and the previous vehicle is that I did not include another 2amp fuse on both the pos and neg sides for overkill. This time I have noticed that there appears to be a "ghost" (very faint) image on the screen after the unit is shut off. It is usually the battery icon and the statement that the battery charge is complete. When I disconnect the power cable from the unit(Garmin) the image disappears nor does it do it when running on battery power only. Seems like the unit has not completely shut off. I never noticed that prior to this install. I'm concerned that the GPS may be still drawing some voltage. Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by benmar2000
My Nuvi 680 when hooked up will stay in Charge mode as long as it is hooked up to a power source.. It is always drawing power.. Just disconnect the power lead when not in use.. But I will say the power it does draw is very minimal..
I use the left hand 12 V plug to power my Nuvi and when the Jeep is off...it is off.....the right hand one maintains charging after the Jeep is off though...
Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkdrone
...If you don't mind my asking, why did you connect it directly to the battery vs., say, tapping into a line that's only on w/ the key?
I wired the GPS on my motorcycle directly to the battery. Allows me to more effectively use the GPS functions like total trip time and total average speed by keeping the GPS powered and calculating, even when you're stopped. I don't leave it on overnight, but I do when stopped for breaks or lunch.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default KJ Drone

Drone et al:

Probably I installed the GPS to the battery because I was running another harness there for my Ham rig which transmits at 50 watts and wanted a direct batt connect. Additionally, I often leave the Ham on in camp to monitor friends arrivals and repeater activity. I didn't want it to turn off with the ignition. I have the CB wired to the cig liter and I definately want the GPS to be completely off with the ign off. If someone knows of a switched fuse in the main fuse box I could go there with an "add a fuse" or shorten the harness and go with the liter. I'm just putting everything together with the radios etc that I had in my previous vehicle so this is a work in progress. I haven't decided on a CB antenna mount yet so I'm still sorting it all out. The Ham antenna is mounted on the hood thru a special crimp mount and works very well. SWR is a little high compared to being on a roof rack with a huge ground plane but I'm hitting all the local repeaters I used to. I need to test the simplex at some serious distance but haven't had the opportunity yet. Thanx for your replies.

Last edited by Bruce K; 03-22-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: GPS screen image ?