Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

H4 vs HID vs LED

Old 04-12-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H4 vs HID vs LED

My first Jeep was an '08 JKU Sahara, was running H13 from the factory all the way up to 12/2014. Never replaced the bulbs. Not once.

Now I'm in a '15 JKU Rubicon, still running factory lights. What's interesting is they don't seem as bright as my '08.

Now I have done a lot of research, oh about a years worth. Don't really want to beat a dead horse either...

People like the Trucklites LEDs, and their non-named HIDs. However no one can seem to answer the question of why converting to H4?!

LEDs are the new thing, lower power / high output, should last forever... However they're $$. Not quiet ready for that money to be spent.

HIDs are nice, they have kits, seem easy to install and will work with my factory reflectors. Reasonably priced as well. (4500k 55w bi-xenon w/kit $100~ish)

Now why would you convert from an H13 to and H4. What's the benefit? Why are H4 bulbs "so much better" than H13? No one can seem to answer this question... I understand the factory reflectors on JKs are garbage, however to never replace a bulb in the 7 years I owned my Sahara... My mother (sadly does not drive a Jeep) is running 9003/HB2 (US version of H4) and has to replace them every 5-6 months. To give you an idea she drives maybe 60 miles a week on pavement. So why would someone convert to an H4?!

And my ultimate question is, what would be better bang for my buck based off everyone's experience, got someone trying to keep it inexpensive but needing an upgrade?
Old 04-12-2015, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

You cant go wrong with Offroadleds Headlight replacements... See pics below
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2821150138.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	606025   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3590326527.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	606026  
Old 04-12-2015, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Yea, Seattle... Cops... Need DOT approved... Done with getting pulled over for stupid BS.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

i was on the search just like you but after reading and looking at reviews. The cost to improve is not worth it to me. In The city the world is polluted with so much light so there is zero benefit. On the interstate it's pretty much the same with all the traffic, reflective stripes, reflectors and signs. The only place you are going to see any significant improvement is on dark country roads but you are going to pay big bucks.

If money was no object I would buy some HIDprojectors or JW Speakers. Probably the Speakers as they look better in my opinion.

Good luck in your venture!

Last edited by GutWrench; 04-13-2015 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added 6.5 inch kc fog lights on bumper. I have to use those to see anything at night. I still have stock headlights. Theyre just terrible. Why are they so dim and only project a narrow strip across road? Its the worst design ever.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Hella e-code H4, in my 2014. They were much less expensive and put out a much better beam pattern, due to the lens & not the bulb, I'm sure. Plenty of extra light for me, without blinding oncoming traffic. Whatever you decide, get a proper system, and just don't throw HID bulbs or LEDs in the stock housings. That makes the light shine all over the place and blind oncoming traffic.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GutWrench
On the interstate it's pretty much the same with all the traffic, reflective stripes, reflectors and signs. The only place you are going to see any significant improvement is on dark country roads but you are going to pay big bucks. If money was no object I would buy some HIDprojectors or JW Speakers. Probably the Speakers as they look better in my opinion. Good luck in your venture!
Yea I saw some really nice projectors that reminded me of Johnny 5's (Short Circuit) evil eyes... Couldn't justify the $1500

LED is a toss up between The Quadratec, Trucklite, and JW Speakers... Leaning more towards the first two.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

H4 isnt an improvement.

Its just that its been around for 30 or more years and the aftermarket has alot of supt for that harness type than they do for the h13. For most of those years, all auto manufacturers used h4. As plastic headlamp modules became popular with replaceable insert bulb vs replacing the whole glass assembly, they started experimenting with different connectors.

More bulb models available for it as a result.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by notnalc68
I have Hella e-code H4, in my 2014.
Was cost the only reason you went with H4s? That's one of the reasons why I don't understand why people went with H4s vs one of the newer technologies.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
H4 isnt an improvement. Its just that its been around for 30 or more years and the aftermarket has alot of supt for that harness type than they do for the h13.
Oh I know, I've read up on all that. So the question is why hasn't someone designed a new H13 reflector for the JKs? I would but I'm no engineer... If it's not the bulb but the housing...

Quick Reply: H4 vs HID vs LED