JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Hard wire rechargeable flashlight (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/hard-wire-rechargeable-flashlight-146030/)

renegade16 10-02-2010 03:16 PM

Hard wire rechargeable flashlight

I'm looking to put in a rechargeable flashlight and was wondering if anyone else has done this. I looked all over the lighting, electrical and sound system forum, but couldn't find anything. If anyone has done this please let me know if you ran it straight to the battery or if you spliced it in somewhere else. thanks

renegade16 10-02-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda (Post 1874202)
Where do you want it?
Do you want it to charge all of the time?
Or only while running?

was thinking of mounting it under the driver's seat. think i would just want it charging all the time. are there any pros or cons you can see in having it one way or the other?

Vernnz 10-02-2010 05:24 PM

How you wire it would be dictated by the battery type it has and how often you plan to use it. The side of the seat bracket would be a good location. You could wire it to a constant hot source and have a switch inline to shut it off if the flashlight is out for an extended period of time.

jmat1980 10-02-2010 07:06 PM

why not just get a 12v charger for the flashlight and then get a 12v outlet splitter for a few bucks at walmart and hardwire that. Thats what I did to hardwaire my GPS. The outlet splitter is concealed behind the panel in the passenger side door jamb and the GPS wire is routed to that location and plugged in. The outlet is powered by the Cig outlet on the dash so it is switched with the ignition. Because of the way my garmin is, it automatically switched on/off with the ignition as well...

Cedo Nulli 10-02-2010 07:56 PM

Done this in a few police cars for rechargable maglites...I'd recommend using an ignition power source so it only charges while the engine is running.

wlabarre 10-03-2010 03:27 AM

Why not get an LED flashlight, I use one at work and they give off a nice bright white light and they last for hours. Mine takes (2) CR123 lithium batteries and usually lasts quite a long time just sitting in the Jeep.

renegade16 10-03-2010 06:04 AM

Thanks to everyone for their help. This rechargeable will be a LED and it will be one of the many that will be in my jeep. IMHO flashlights are like guns and ammo....you can never have enough. Also, it seems as though Murphy like to follow me around so I guess I'd rather be safe then sorry
1:wink:

renegade16 10-03-2010 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by jmat1980 (Post 1874531)
why not just get a 12v charger for the flashlight and then get a 12v outlet splitter for a few bucks at walmart and hardwire that. Thats what I did to hardwaire my GPS. The outlet splitter is concealed behind the panel in the passenger side door jamb and the GPS wire is routed to that location and plugged in. The outlet is powered by the Cig outlet on the dash so it is switched with the ignition. Because of the way my garmin is, it automatically switched on/off with the ignition as well...

How did you conceal the outle spliter? Do you have any pics? I am new to the whole vehicle wiring thing.

RescueRubi2105 10-04-2010 07:36 PM

Just installed the 5.11 Light for Life in my Jeep today. Ran the charger to a switch but have seen this light in several police cars and they claim it doesnt drain the battery.

kintton 11-25-2017 09:14 PM

Hey guys, I want to ask a question here. What type rechargeable flashlight you keep in your car. I have heard about some magnetic flashlights which can attach with car body. I am not sure about this. I am looking for the best rechargeable flashlight. However, just general question. I want to keep a flashlight in my car. Personally, what type flashlight you are keeping in your car?