Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

hardwire an inverter?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRockJk4x4
I just matched the wire with the same guage that they used in the inverter. Going thicker wouldnt hurt but I would definately not go any smaller, especially if your inverter is a higher wattage.

As far as mounting it I got lucky. I removed the glove box and lower trim panel below it and was able to wedge it in between the dash frame and what I think was the ac blower housing and to keep it there with just some double sided tape. I might work on a more permanent solution but I have wheeled with it since and it hasnt moved. If your inverter was any larger than the one in the pictures then this will not work because there is not much room. There were some other places up under the dash against the firewall but you might be able to see them from the passenger footwell, im not sure. Another option might be to remotely mount it under the driver seat if it is a larger inverter and run the wires under the center console up to the dash. I know I have seen people mount small air compressors there. Good luck and if you have any other questions let me know.
I doubt the double sided tape is going to keep it in place for long. Those things tend to generate plently of heat and double sided tape turns to slimy gum when heated. The install looked great though. BTW, I wonder if you could have transplanted the entire face you removed on the inverter and mounted it like that onto the panel. Hard to gauge size from the inverter pics but it looks like if it worked, it would be awesome.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I also hardwired mine, similar to RedRockJK4x4. It is a 400W model from radio shack that I had been using in my work truck before switching to using the Jeep.
I took it apart and mounted it behind the panel under the glove box. I extended the wires for the 2 plugs and installed them on the dash, right under the window control switches (mine is a 2dr, so I had room where the rear window switches would be on an unlimited). There is a tiny green LED that is in the dash between the plugs to indicate when the power is on.
Powers on with one of my switches at the bottom of the dash.
It came out very clean looking and I get a lot of comments from passengers - they think it came from the factory... I can't post a pic today but I will put some up soon.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.
I'm running a 2000 watt Whistler power inverter off the duals and it is a sweet mod. I even use it at home to power the shop vac when I'm cleaning out the Jeep.
I've done that as well. I've also used my drill with the inverter. I'm still waiting to get the money for one of your awesome dual battery setups. I really want to do that someday. Especially before I get a winch. So far I've been lucky and the Optima seems to have a lot of juice to it. I never run anything too terribly long without the engine running. It'd be nice to be able to run something all night long such as a fridge when camping. Or watch movies with the mygig and not worry about being able to start the jeep.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by horwitzs
I also hardwired mine, similar to RedRockJK4x4. It is a 400W model from radio shack that I had been using in my work truck before switching to using the Jeep.
I took it apart and mounted it behind the panel under the glove box. I extended the wires for the 2 plugs and installed them on the dash, right under the window control switches (mine is a 2dr, so I had room where the rear window switches would be on an unlimited). There is a tiny green LED that is in the dash between the plugs to indicate when the power is on.
Powers on with one of my switches at the bottom of the dash.
It came out very clean looking and I get a lot of comments from passengers - they think it came from the factory... I can't post a pic today but I will put some up soon.
Ok, here's a couple of pics finally...
I power it on with one of the switches at the bottom of the dash.
The green LED between the plugs illuminates when the power is on.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

anyone wanna buy a Cobra 2500w/5000w surge inverter?
Ive decided not to use it. still in box.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by horwitzs
Ok, here's a couple of pics finally...
I power it on with one of the switches at the bottom of the dash.
The green LED between the plugs illuminates when the power is on.

Very nice I would have done this if I had the room but i have a 4 door with 4 switches. Mine is still holding up well with no problems. To answer the above question, you probably could mount the entire panel of the inverter where I did but I wanted to leave the other side of it open incase I want to add switches for lights in the future.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
anyone wanna buy a Cobra 2500w/5000w surge inverter?
Ive decided not to use it. still in box.
Pm'd .
Old 12-12-2009, 11:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent thread. Check out what this guy did--remotely mounted the outlets, switch, etc.:

http://roamingdrone.wordpress.com/20...ngler-console/

I am going to hardwire a Coleman 800W (1600W peak) inverter in my 2008 JK Unlimited tomorrow. I'll do the remote outlets/switches some other time and post pictures at that point. I hope that this is of use to someone out there ...
Old 12-13-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi

Great ideas guys, but I still don't understand why this thread isn't in the " JK electrical..." section as it's not a CB or HAM radio......
Old 12-13-2009, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

very nice installs!

i've actually done this on some of my previous cars, and this has inspired me to do it to my JK =)

Quick Reply: hardwire an inverter?