Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight Installation w/ Pictures

Old 06-14-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Installation w/ Pictures

Since I change the bulb on everything I own, I had to do it on my new JK, I installed Hella high output bulbs - way to expensive, but hey - you only live once. I found some hints here how to do it, but not pictures... so here ya go...

First remove the front grille, the plastic rivets at the top must be removed, it's easiest to user two small screwdrivers to pry the center section up. Then remove the center section of the rivets and remove the rivet body. Then working your way from one side to the other, gently pull the grill at the bottom away from the body. Once removed, disconnect the direction lights. You will have to pull the red slider on the connection away from the bulb. Then gently wiggle the connection off the assembly.

With the grille removed, get a T15 torque bit and remove the four screws on the beauty rings. Pull the headlight assembly out towards you and remove the entire bulbs. Set the lens assembly aside. Pull the red slider away from the lamp, and gently wiggle the connector off. Replace bulb (H13/9008) - do not touch the bulb with bare hands.

Re-insert bulb in lens housing and reattach with four screws. Do not fully seat all four screws until you have the lens assembly lined up nicely.

Spray a little silicon or Dri-Lube on the clips at the bottom grille to aid re-installation. Place the grill in place at the bottom edge and re-connect the directionals - be sure to push the red sliders back in place. Start from one side and gently push the grille back into place at the bottom. Re-insert the plastic rivet bodies on the top edge, then press the center sections in. Be careful - the pins only go in in one direction - patience. (Trivia note - the rivets are identical to the ones used to fasten the radiator shroud in my Chevy Silverado)

Next replace the Fog lamps with Phillips HB3/9005 60 or equivalent SilverStars. Bonus: Like someone else point out - you will also find a stick on the back of the grill indicating the build date of your JK.

Removing beauty rings with T15 torque bit

Lens housing out - bulb accessable

Red slider you have to pull away from bulb

Reinstallation of grille - starting with bottom

Build date sticker

Closeup of plastic rivet.

All put back together

Last edited by johnnyd; 07-05-2008 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight Installation w/ Pictures