Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight issues

Old 07-31-2019, 02:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight issues

Hey y’all,

So recently just noticed that when i put my e brake down( i have a 2012 sport unlimited 6 speed) my lights come on but my light switch is in the off position and it seems that my high beams come on. Though when i actually turn my lights on, the hi beams turn off and my normal headlights come on. I’m just curious why this is happening because it did the same thing with my Putco Luminexes along with these new ProComp headlights as well. I just don’t know where to start and I’ve googled all over the place and haven’t found anything.

Any help is more than appreciated !
Old 07-31-2019, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It sounds like you've got DRL's enabled. Albeit my Volkswagen is a little different, the DRL's turn out when I activate the parking brake. Release the brake and the lights come back on.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway i can turn that function off? I don’t have a touchscreen or anything on the dash to disable the DRL function
Old 07-31-2019, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You either need a programmer or people have had good luck with the Jscan app and a bluetooth OBD reader.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Some Autozone stores may be able to help you
Old 07-31-2019, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I wouldn't bet on AutoZone but Jscan has that programming feature and I believe the AEV ProCal does too. You're in Florida so it seems unlikely you'd have a Canadian jeep but I'd try the Jscan first with it being the cheapest. AutoZone can read codes, not program the computer.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I wouldn't bet on AutoZone but Jscan has that programming feature and I believe the AEV ProCal does too. You're in Florida so it seems unlikely you'd have a Canadian jeep but I'd try the Jscan first with it being the cheapest. AutoZone can read codes, not program the computer.
Given the large number of Jeeps in FL, there are pretty good odds that someone somewhat local will have a ODB dongle that works with jscan that you can borrow for a quick moment and save a couple (20 or so) bucks if you only need a one-time use
Old 07-31-2019, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BoredKender
Given the large number of Jeeps in FL, there are pretty good odds that someone somewhat local will have a ODB dongle that works with jscan that you can borrow for a quick moment and save a couple (20 or so) bucks if you only need a one-time use
JScan requires a VIN license which I believe you would need to do this. It would save the cost of the dongle.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, that is what i was referring to. My dongle was in the neighborhood of 17 bucks, so i listed "20 or so". Suppose I Could have shortened it up to just "have an OBD dongle that you can borrow" but since not all work with jscan I felt that extra little bit was needed. Sorry if unclear.

Quick Reply: Headlight issues