Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight relay buzzing

Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 AM
JpX
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AMCJeep
Just as a quick note:

The diagram specifies a 220pF Capacitor and that is likely a misprint. It should be 220uF. 220 picoFarads are not polarized and are much to small for this application, the 220 microFarad seems more in-line with reality and they are polarized.

BTW: Nice write up !
Is there any truth to this or is the 220pF working for everyone? I ask because I had a couple 100uF caps sitting around from an old project. I wired them up but the lights just flicker on. The passenger side flashes about twice a second and the driver side about once every two seconds. Can too large a capacitor cause this problem?

Last edited by JpX; 06-08-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100pf (100pico farad) is too small you need to use a 200uf (200 micro farad)

I have been running this set up for over 2 years with zero issues...
Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I am confused about the diagram. It may be that I don't have my HID kit in yet with the harness. But does anyone have a clearer picture of the cap/diode trick on the actual wiring/relay?

And I have error cancellers coming in as well, so I hear that they will not work for the high beams. Is this correct? (DDMtuning).
Correct you will install the circuit into the HID harness not the stock JK harness.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090111..jpg
Views:	457
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	71767   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090109..jpg
Views:	476
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	71768  
Old 11-29-2010, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

@whpony, IcyFridge told me to look for this thread as I'm ordering a DDMTuning kit for my IPF H4 kit. Is it safe to say that I only need one 200uF capacity and the diode? I'm trying to get a hold of DDM to see if I can get a custom kit that takes the H13 input and uses H4 bulbs, eliminating the extra H13->H4 harness that comes with the IPF kit.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Junkie

Yes you only need One cap and One diode.

I have been running this setup for over 2 years now and not a single issue.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

please correct me! if im wrong....

capacitor+diode together from the ground to the white

capacitor + diodo together from the ground to the blue...

is thissss only for highs?

or this is for high/low..??? i need to install that trick for mu highs flickering....??

helppp sooon.... please.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default it worked

the diodie+capacitator trick worked..
just make sure u make it water proof....

Originally Posted by Hachuky
please correct me! if im wrong....

capacitor+diode together from the ground to the white

capacitor + diodo together from the ground to the blue...

is thissss only for highs?

or this is for high/low..??? i need to install that trick for mu highs flickering....??

helppp sooon.... please.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've done the trick too set up just as the diagram shows but my lights still go off and on a few times then shut off completely. Any advice?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dsy
Do yours only buzz when the engine is running also? Mine worked as expected untill I started the vehicle with the hood up and heard the relays start buzzing... I thought I screwed something up and took it all apart again but every thing was correct. I even hooked a relay up right at the stock head lamp skt with one beam driver and the return to the 86 and 85 terminal on the realy only and as soon as the engine starts so does the buzzing from the realy.

I thought that would happen to everyone with a JK because it is based on a pulse modulated electrical system. I think that the problem is that with the pulse system the voltage is acting similar to an AC circuit insted of a steady DC current. So the current is rising and falling rapidly and not holding the relays closed which need a constant DC voltage of at least 8 volts I think it was. Any way I'll repost what I wrote up
if you want to try it. It worked perfect for me.

After installing the Cibie E-code lamps with the 85/80w bulbs I dont think you would need to try and do any better. I get a big sh*t eating grin every time I turn my lights on at night The difference btw stock and the E-codes is amazing. The stock lamps are weak at best. I dont mind most of the plastic on my JK but when I pulled my stock head lights out and saw how light weight plastic they were, they went right in the garbage can. Its a little bit of a job to change over but not hard just time consuming. There is another issue about changing over to the upgraded wiring that does not seem to be addressed. Since this vehicle uses a pulse modulated voltage system per the FSM you need to take a few more steps with the relay wiring or the relays trigger on and off from the pulsing so fast they make a buzzing noise and you really dont get full power to the bulbs. Nothing a trip to radio shack cannot cure. Here is a pic of what worked for me.

Throwing it out there, I know this is a really old thread, but I followed these steps to a "T" and I am still getting the problem on high beams with a bi-xenon setup. The buzzing is mostly coming from the lamps - I can even see them bouncing around in the sockets. But low beams work just fine. Anything new to add? I have an '08 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... The stock halogens are just terrible.

TIA
Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Followed exact directions and lights worked fine

just to add that i added Hella Fogs (500FF) directly into my factory 2010 JK fog light wiring and they worked perfectly. 55W max when using the factory fog harness. and for my Hella 700FF, I added them exactly as their directions said to do it, with trigger and switch to the high beam. ( and with relay and Hella harness) and then added the diode and the capacitor as shown here, and it worked perfectly the first time.
for the price of only $60 and $70 (respectively) these lights are a bargain!!!!

and, yes, having aux driving lights on ONLY with the hi beams is a LAW in most states. Legal on-road driving lights, 55W or less, that is. Off road lights (100W or 130W) can be by switch only, but never used on-road. and maybe even needing to be covered in some states.

I have seen people trying to compare $60 lights to $250-370 lights (like LIghtforce) and it is just a bit silly, IMHO. I would hope that lights that are 5 times more money would perform at least 5 times better. BTW, i do love the Lightforce lights, but the price is just too high for my budget today. (the money saved can go for new tires!)

Quick Reply: Headlight relay buzzing