Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight Upgrade Debate

Old 06-15-2015, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
I would run from delta, The KC and the quadratecs are both good options. I am using the truck lites and love them.

I like the delta too
Old 06-15-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by gohardgreg
... Let's face it, stock JKU lights are garbage. ....
Yep, that they are. But, if they worked like most new car OEM headlights, would you be satisfied and looking at other mods on which to spend your money instead of expensive LED headlights? If the answer to that is "yes", then I submit you can get a decent enough upgrade with the Northridge 4X4 IPF headlights. Not only do they provide a decent light pattern for a modest price, but they are incandescent, so there's no flicker issue. And the lenses are glass, not plastic that will craze after a few years. And because they are incandescent, freezing/icing over is far less of a problem than with LED lights (though some are now coming with built-in heaters--the price just went up!). And they actually look like they belong on a Jeep. Let's face it: LED lights just plain look weird on a Jeep. Okay, that's a matter of personal opinion, so take it or leave it.

I will caution that the IPF lights do not have DOT approval. Why? They have a very tiny hotspot that points up at a high angle. So high that if an oncoming driver were seeing it, you wouldn't have to worry, because he's sitting up high in an 18 wheeler within about 15 feet of your bumper and pointed right at you--and I mean that quite literally. I didn't even know I had this hotspot until I read another website with a "lighting expert" who ran a bunch of tests. I went out and checked and sure enough, it's really there. Anyway, just food for thought, in case your Jeep dollars are limited and you have some interest in spending effectively ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Verdant Jeep Images, Jun 14, 5125, Jeep at Stanley Draper Lake.jpg
Views:	3774
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	614884

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 06-15-2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added about crazing, ice.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

I have the IPF conversion with a Rally Harness, and 85/80 bulbs in normal color. The system does light up very nice. They run directly off the battery.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Headlights are probably not something you would want to go cheap with.
That being said, I have experience with only 3 headlight options:
Stock headlights of course were one pair I had experience with.
DDM Tuning HID kit in stock housings was another set I used. These were not bad, but they were illegal.
My third pair is the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 headlights. I haven't even adjusted them yet, as they are aimed way too far at the ground, but the light output blows away either of the other sets I had on the Jeep.
I have to say that the JW Speaker's can compared to BMWs xenon headlights, that is how impressive the output is. However, there is a delay from switching from high beams to low beams that occurs for 2-3 seconds after using the switch. I am not sure if they have fixed this issue since I bought mine as soon as they came out. They are making a model specifically for Jeeps that is being released soon which I will be getting. This will eliminate the need for anti-flicker harnesses (but don't worry, the price is going to be integrated into the price for the lights )
Just remember that people's opinions are opinions, and other people may think differently about these lights mentioned. I am sure that other manufacturers lights are very well-made and perform exceptionally. There is another thread somewhere online titled "Headlight Shootout" or similar that compares some different lights (with pictures and actual statistics too!)
Good luck picking out new headlights, just be sure to consider all the options!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bolverk
I have the KC Led Headlamps and like them a lot...like their warranty too! Plus they come with antiflicker harness...think. Trucklit sells those extra...

Attachment 614632
I've had problems with a lot of my KC stuff, Headlights, 30 inch lightbar, cyclones, and each time KC says send it in you got a 23 year warranty on them. And they do replace no questions asked.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you live in an area with a lot of snow, you should consider an LED option with a built-in heating element. I'm in Phoenix AZ, so that's a non-issue for me. I'm running the Gen II Trucklites and are very satisfied with the output, and the fact that I'm not blinding oncoming traffic running 37's and 5.5" of lift. Not sure which manufacturers (other than TL) have the heated lights, and they are more expensive...but headlights are not something to try to save a few bucks.
Whatever you end up buying, it will be a HUGE improvement over stock!
Good luck...
Old 06-16-2015, 02:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m satisfied with the Truck Lights, because –

Vast improvement vs the stock lights.
TLs emit the same amount of light as the JW, but the light spread is much more even, while the JW have strong hotspots.
The cutoff line of the TL is very straight & horizontal, so there’s no blinding of on-coming traffic, while aimed somewhat higher.
The light nicely covers the road or trail sides.
Very good high light.
Minimal draw from the battery vs incandescent bulbs, and they don’t burn out like other bulb types do.

If possible scratches on the plastic lenses worry you, put this –

It won’t take too long before we see only LED lights on all new vehicles.

Last edited by GJeep; 06-17-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Hella lights and really like them once I adjusted them properly. I originally bought them for my CJ7 but ended up using them on my JKU. HELLA 002395801 Vision Plus 165mm 12V High/Low Beam Halogen Conversion Headlamp Kit (H4 ECE)
Old 06-17-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Yep, that they are. But, if they worked like most new car OEM headlights, would you be satisfied and looking at other mods on which to spend your money instead of expensive LED headlights? If the answer to that is "yes", then I submit you can get a decent enough upgrade with the Northridge 4X4 IPF headlights. Not only do they provide a decent light pattern for a modest price, but they are incandescent, so there's no flicker issue. And the lenses are glass, not plastic that will craze after a few years. And because they are incandescent, freezing/icing over is far less of a problem than with LED lights (though some are now coming with built-in heaters--the price just went up!). And they actually look like they belong on a Jeep. Let's face it: LED lights just plain look weird on a Jeep. Okay, that's a matter of personal opinion, so take it or leave it.

I will caution that the IPF lights do not have DOT approval. Why? They have a very tiny hotspot that points up at a high angle. So high that if an oncoming driver were seeing it, you wouldn't have to worry, because he's sitting up high in an 18 wheeler within about 15 feet of your bumper and pointed right at you--and I mean that quite literally. I didn't even know I had this hotspot until I read another website with a "lighting expert" who ran a bunch of tests. I went out and checked and sure enough, it's really there. Anyway, just food for thought, in case your Jeep dollars are limited and you have some interest in spending effectively ...

Attachment 614884

Watch out mark,

There are "Lighting Expert" lemmings all over the forums! ha ha. The IPFs are awesome too. I do run Truck lites as I need max light. I have had the JW speaker in the form of the Harley daymaker in my shop the same time as my truck lights. I unplugged on of my truck lights as to give a fair comparison between the two. The daymakers low beam is a little brighter nothing to write home about, but noticeable. On high beam however it's game over. The truck lites high beam is WAY ahead of the JW/Daymaker. Guess what, in the "lab" of the so called lighting experts, the JW rates better, but in the real world the truck lite stomps it.

Best part, truck lites are cheaper and available easier.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

I see the jw speaker evo 2's on eBay for $284. U think that's legit or a knockoff? I'm always skeptical about eBay but u never know...

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrade Debate