Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight Upgrade Debate

Old 12-21-2015, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
Cool, I read that the heaters never worked well, but then again, that was from a JW speaker preacher. He "tests" the lights and JW tosses him all their lights for his rig. Should have known. I am going to try the Hella lights to see how they work, I am interested in them, if they are not that good I will get the heated TLs. I do like trying different things...I will have to see.
I'm sure there may be a manufacturing variance, but mine have worked well. For me the anti flicker harness wasn't a bid deal. TL's were developed for military applications if I recall correctly. Get why makes you happy. My only gripe is a delay between low and high beams when you switch them.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decided to go with the KCs love them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1595445247.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	743.1 KB
ID:	632662   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3631850764.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	632663  
Old 12-21-2015, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

I just put in the KCs too. I didn't do too much comparison before buying them. I love KC and got a good price through Morris 4x4. Love them so far. Great upgrade.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by thx1158
I'm sure there may be a manufacturing variance, but mine have worked well. For me the anti flicker harness wasn't a bid deal. TL's were developed for military applications if I recall correctly. Get why makes you happy. My only gripe is a delay between low and high beams when you switch them.
The delay bothered me at first, but now I don't even notice. I got the anti flicker etc. The truck lite high beams are the best in the biz. there is not another headlight I have seen that puts out the high beam spread and distance the truck lites kick out.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Yep, that they are. But, if they worked like most new car OEM headlights, would you be satisfied and looking at other mods on which to spend your money instead of expensive LED headlights? If the answer to that is "yes", then I submit you can get a decent enough upgrade with the Northridge 4X4 IPF headlights. Not only do they provide a decent light pattern for a modest price, but they are incandescent, so there's no flicker issue. And the lenses are glass, not plastic that will craze after a few years. And because they are incandescent, freezing/icing over is far less of a problem than with LED lights (though some are now coming with built-in heaters--the price just went up!). And they actually look like they belong on a Jeep. Let's face it: LED lights just plain look weird on a Jeep. Okay, that's a matter of personal opinion, so take it or leave it.

I will caution that the IPF lights do not have DOT approval. Why? They have a very tiny hotspot that points up at a high angle. So high that if an oncoming driver were seeing it, you wouldn't have to worry, because he's sitting up high in an 18 wheeler within about 15 feet of your bumper and pointed right at you--and I mean that quite literally. I didn't even know I had this hotspot until I read another website with a "lighting expert" who ran a bunch of tests. I went out and checked and sure enough, it's really there. Anyway, just food for thought, in case your Jeep dollars are limited and you have some interest in spending effectively ...

Attachment 614884
Mark,

Don you have a link to the ones you have? Fogs also?

Are they better than stock by a fair margin?

Almost ready to pull the trigger
Old 12-23-2015, 04:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

http://www.northridge4x4.com/ipf-200...-headlight-kit

Except I didn't like blue bulbs, so replaced with a $20 pair of Sylvania Halogens. Much better than 2007 stock; not sure if Jeep has modified since or not. 2007s were horrible. Fog lights I have are OEM.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:44 AM
JK Junkie

No, they never changed anything. The oem fog lights work great with a good set of bulbs. I am running Nokya yellow halogen bulbs and they work great. The stock headlights were crap. Anything is better, IPF, Ecode and super 7s if you are in the north, truck lites if your are south with little chance of snow.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Went with JW Speaker

I just went with the new JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J series Headlights and their 6145 fog lights. The head lights have the anti flicker built in and plugged right into my harness. I am completely satisfied with them. I even put their LED tail lights on my 2013 JKU.

Click image for larger version

Name:	File Dec 08, 4 58 47 PM 2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	794.2 KB
ID:	632745
Old 12-23-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Put a set of quality 4300k 55w HID systems in your IPF lights and turn night into day!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
http://www.northridge4x4.com/ipf-200...-headlight-kit

Except I didn't like blue bulbs, so replaced with a $20 pair of Sylvania Halogens. Much better than 2007 stock; not sure if Jeep has modified since or not. 2007s were horrible. Fog lights I have are OEM.
Thanks man.

My 2008 is terrible also so I'm sure these are much better and good price too.

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrade Debate